ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dumb question but maybe somebody knows how. Probably a form of Sync.

<< < (4/5) > >>

questorfla:
Darn Shades:  That is "slick:. :Thmbsup:   8)
It created the bat perfect but it still won't delete the files.  Even if I run the bat as admin.   I have no idea why it wont work but I still get that message like I was getting on mine about the "structure or path" not being right.  I thought it might be the quotes but yours has the quotes
"The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"  Looks fine to me.
I ran a test of it on my desktop just to grab a  zero length files I knew was there.
It made the bat with this statement:
DEL /F /Q “C:\Users\ASA4\Desktop\DEC 16th 23 sync users somebody not there yet.txt”  
This is a file I can see and it is zero length.  But I still get the error and it is stil there.  
I can right click and choose delete and POOF
I LIKE the "WAY" you did it though.  Each statement is a standalone command.

Your "deletezerobvte.bat" creator worked a charm and I have never thought of doing it like that before.
I am going to save that logic for future use!  I could rewrite to make the del command into any command needed to run on multiple files found by using a similar logic tree.

I Wish I knew why it wont delete the files but even if I copy the del command statement verbatim and paste to a command prompt,  I get the same error.  Got to be something minor.
And minor it is but...
for some reason their is an odd character created in from of the C:\  so the actual delete line in the batch file says "DEL /F /Q    (here there appears a character that looks like a small letter o with the ^ above it)     then the normal c:\archives\etc etc.  the rest of the normal path.  The thing is the quote marks are gone.  I can only see this if I remove the "@echo off" so I can watch what is happening.  Is a quote mark one of those characters you have to escape from twice in a batch file like the >> and double %?

4wd:
DEL /F /Q “C:\Users\ASA4\Desktop\DEC 16th 23 sync users somebody not there yet.txt”
--- End quote ---

Look at the quote marks.

It'll look the same as normal quote marks at the DOS prompt but it won't work, the following will:

DEL /F /Q "C:\Users\ASA4\Desktop\DEC 16th 23 sync users somebody not there yet.txt"

To illustrate:

Command file - top line is taken from posts above, third line replaced the quote marks with normal ones off the keyboard using Notepad2 (which makes the difference more obvious):

Result:

The angled quote marks are usually caused by a word processor, with a basic text editor they always look like a pair of vertical parallel lines.

Fixed command file without the funny quote marks:

--- Code: Text ---@echo offecho @ECHO OFF>> zerobytefilesremover.batfor /r %%F in (*) do if %%~zF==0 echo DEL /F /Q "%%F">> zerobytefilesremover.bat

questorfla:
 :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

WHY OH WHY!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:  WHY didn't I see that
I have run into thAT at least once before and recently i have noticed that on some of my office programs the quotes don't tilt the right way either

also did you know spell-check refuses to offer "don't" and an option to a misspelled DON'T no matter how wrong you do it that is never EVER offered as an option.
Word and Outlook have a "think" about "you and "Your" and other variations like they want to get rid of the word altogether

it's gonna be a big World O' WE!   Microsoft's Big Huggy World.

If ONLY they could do something about the blasted quote marks

questorfla:
OMG!  I just opened the last box of drives anbd they are ALL IDE.  I am not sure i even havd a bvoard with an IDE plug.  Nothing but fun around here.  Other day one guy comes up with an old Okidata (OLD-Old) printer and asks me why his USB can't work on it.  This was NOT the model that had both. Wanted an adapter for a USB to ..SERIAL..  Where in the heck he found the Printer itself I have no idea  I have not seen a serial printer since..  I think i was watching the Fonz on Happy Days?

I adapted it right to the trash bin.  Adapter wold cost at least 10 bucks IF one exists which is more than the printer would be worth IF it worked and it probably didn't.  This stuff is so old the salvation army wont take it.

That is why they want me to get these files off before there IS no more IDE even.

Shades:
OMG!  I just opened the last box of drives anbd they are ALL IDE.  I am not sure i even havd a bvoard with an IDE plug.  Nothing but fun around here.  Other day one guy comes up with an old Okidata (OLD-Old) printer and asks me why his USB can't work on it.  This was NOT the model that had both. Wanted an adapter for a USB to ..SERIAL..  Where in the heck he found the Printer itself I have no idea  I have not seen a serial printer since..  I think i was watching the Fonz on Happy Days?

I adapted it right to the trash bin.  Adapter wold cost at least 10 bucks IF one exists which is more than the printer would be worth IF it worked and it probably didn't.  This stuff is so old the salvation army wont take it.

That is why they want me to get these files off before there IS no more IDE even.
-questorfla (June 07, 2015, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Serial printers are common in POS setups. Industrial label printers (2000 USD and up) also work with the serial port. Thermal printers  often make use of the serial port too.

You might have to hunt a bit, but there are 3.5 inch portable hard disk enclosures that work with IDE drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version