ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dumb question but maybe somebody knows how. Probably a form of Sync.

(1/5) > >>

questorfla:
Best Program or method to:
Copy all files from a location on drive D: to a location on drive E: with the following conditions:
If the file already exists on E:   AND   is newer   OR       larger   than the one on D:     Then the copy on E: is left in place left in place and copy on D: is deleted.
Otherwise the copy on D: is Moved to E: and overwrites without asking.

Sounds simple but I cannot find the right combination of switches to do the either or part
This should end up merging the two locations onto the E: drive location keeping the copies that are either newest or largest regardless of where they are.
The reason for this is that there are some newer copies of the same files that are from zero to 5 bytes or so in size created in error.  Need to keep the larger copy in that case even if it is older

c.gingerich:
I have used Clickteam SynchronX and it has worked well for me - http://www.brothersoft.com/synchronx-4732.html

tomos:
Dopus doesnt do this.

Snycovery looks like it can do this - but for some reason it's greyed out here:

One problem with the larger file replacing smaller is if a more recent file is slightly smaller, it will get replaced by older version - but this may not be relevant to your situation.
Syncovery gets around that by only doing it for files that have the same datestamp.

questorfla:
Thanks to you both for such quick answers.  Tomos, yours as displayed would probably work and i working with drive copies for the first run.  If it works, i have maybe 30 backup drives to merge into a single drive with the most relevant data so i will know for sure after the first run and can't hurt anyway.
I have never used either program so will try both.   With hard-drives cheaper than backup tapes used to be this is just how they have been doing it to provide failsafe redundancy but after 5 years i need to get this all onto a single new master copy.  I don't trust 5 year old hard-drives all that much. :(
almost forgot, do either "clean up" the original?  The reason for the cleanup is so there is no doubt that something was done with everything.
I cn';t see any instance (other than an immovable file) where it could be left over on the drive D:.  If it does as it szhould D: shold be empty.  I can do a lowlevel format and check for any glitches.  If it is one of the newer drives I will keep it in rotation.  Those 3 years or older though get "shredded" (hard to believe you have to shred a harddrivethese days  :o  . 

But such is the world of the "future".  I can't wait for the 3d-printable hard-drives to comes out  8).  Then maybe I can just burn them after use :Thmbsup:

tomos:
Syncovery will move the data - so source drive should be empty at the end if your settings are correct -
re the greyed out options - the author is extremely helpful so should be able to clarify what's going on there. There is a forum I think too.
It's not the cheapest, but it is (1) able to do almost everything** (2) very dependable, and, (3) the support is first class.

** takes a bit of time to setup - requires going through all the settings for the job

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version