Yeah, that script definitely caused issues. I moved all the images that were already kept into another directory so it could just resume from where it left off and started the script up again. Here are some screenshots of behavior I saw.
As expected, it immediately maxed out my CPU usage to 100% and made my computer somewhat sluggish (occasional "hiccups" of unresponsiveness). I opened the task manager to take a look at the CPU usage and noticed the RAM usage climbing sky high:DONE: Delete every N files, or keep only every N filesDONE: Delete every N files, or keep only every N files
RAM usage kept climbing, so I closed out Chrome, Firefox, and other misc. programs, anything using more than 100MB of RAM got shut down.DONE: Delete every N files, or keep only every N files
The RAM kept climbing up, but soon peaked around 13-14GB of RAM(!), and then started alternating between going down and climbing back up, like so:DONE: Delete every N files, or keep only every N files
And to get an idea of how fast/slow the files were being deleted, here's an animated gif:
I lowered the process priority so it wouldn't slow down my PC and left it running for a few hours while I was away from my PC again. It eventually finished the job, though I'm not sure how long it took.
Final results of the cull: ~80,000 files totaling ~80GB reduced to ~13,000 files totaling ~13GB. I guess that means the average filesize is about 1MB per image.