ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Rant Thread!

<< < (13/13)

IainB:
Got to Korea. 27 hours by air. Laptop is hosed. Worked at home. Tablet has errors now. Can't install anything now. Google Play Services errors. Smartphone stopped booting. Had to rent a phone. Disaster. I'm a bit pissed off.
-Renegade (January 24, 2015, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just as problem analysis: Why do you say your laptop was "hosed"? What exactly were the symptoms?
What do you suppose the cause was?

Renegade:
Got to Korea. 27 hours by air. Laptop is hosed. Worked at home. Tablet has errors now. Can't install anything now. Google Play Services errors. Smartphone stopped booting. Had to rent a phone. Disaster. I'm a bit pissed off.
-Renegade (January 24, 2015, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just as problem analysis: Why do you say your laptop was "hosed"? What exactly were the symptoms?
What do you suppose the cause was?
-IainB (January 25, 2015, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had a NETAPI32.dll error. I couldn't use Windows Update or make OS configuration changes, which are critical to my ability to do what I need to do while I'm here in Korea.

Specifically, I need to set the underlying OS language to Korean in order to use some software while I'm here. I flew here specifically for this. And one f***ing error and I need to buy a new laptop because I can't risk screwing around -- this MUST get done. Reliably. And I need to do it tomorrow morning.

Most things on the old laptop still work... just not what I need to work.

I simply can't risk "letting it slide" otherwise I may need to fly back. And I hate flying.

In other news... related...

The flights killed me. Uncomfortable seats for hours and hours are just murder. My back was in severe pain, so I asked a friend if he knew of any decent massage places to iron out the kinks. Well... He blathers on and on and never answers. The closest he gets to answering is saying, "So do you want a dirty massage or a regular one." I tell me just a regular one, and he blathers on more with no actual information (he's good at this - he's in sales). So, I just wander into the first place I see.

Half way through the massage she starts to strip down at which point I tell her that all I need is a simple, normal massage with no extras. Um... uncomfortable.

In any event, the massage was good and the pain levels were drastically reduced. Airplane seats are like "unmassages". I'm not looking forward to the flight back, but on the good side, maybe I can get my wife to help me out with a massage, and then the "extras" are all good~! ;D

Renegade:
In a word...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Just how friggin' stupid are people???

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/thousands-of-cra-employees-fell-for-fake-phishing-email-test/article24429608/

A security test by the Canada Revenue Agency found thousands of its employees could not resist the lure of a phony e-mail phishing scam, a discovery that suggests vulnerabilities remain at the agency more than a year after it was rocked by a major online security breach.

The Globe and Mail has learned that over the first three months of this year, the agency’s security and internal-affairs division sent 16,000 employees an e-mail designed to replicate the potentially dangerous messages that are common to anyone with an e-mail account.

A phishing scam usually involves an e-mail that encourages a user to click on a link, which could then expose the user’s computer to malicious software.

The result of the CRA’s test was that 78 per cent of employees did not click on the link contained in phishing attempts. However, that means roughly 3,500 employees did fall for the scam, even though they were informed ahead of time that the test would take place.
--- End quote ---

I think we've resolved the question as to whether or not bureaucrats are at the bottom of the IQ barrel.

And, just to make it perfectly clear just how moronic these douchknobs are:

Philippe Brideau, a spokesperson for the CRA, said, "...The CRA’s systems are safe and secure.”
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version