ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Judy's TenKey (10Key) award-winning calculator

<< < (5/6) > >>

Innuendo:
@Innuendo : I didn't consider (or claim) my list to be comprehensive at all. However, Wabbitemu is now on my list as I downloaded and installed it just now!-IainB (May 16, 2015, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I know you didn't claim it, but unfortunately you've built a reputation around here of being thorough and comprehensive so I was a little surprised by the oversight. ;)

My inner geek squealed at turning my Android devices into TI-8x graphing calculators. Yeah, I know. I'm easily amused.

IainB:
...My inner geek squealed at turning my Android devices into TI-8x graphing calculators. Yeah, I know. I'm easily amused.
-Innuendo (May 16, 2015, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, same here, it's really a brilliant idea. I had not known that this emulation code was even available or that TI had made this code available. Hats off to TI for that. Impressive.

oblivion:
I'm not sure how many licenses OpalCalc is going to sell at $15, though, even with evangelists such as yourself.
-ayryq (May 16, 2015, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
I rarely evangelise -- I am told often enough that my taste in software is "a bit weird" that I certainly wouldn't want to insist that a particular thing is best. But the traditional calculator, however good they are (and my experiences of the things goes back to the 1970s and I still own several) is specifically designed to be finger-friendly in a relatively restricted space -- something that computerised calculator programs don't, it seems to me, need to emulate.

I tried a couple of the wabbitemu TI emulations and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of them -- and I completely get that a smartphone host for one of them would be a good idea. The restricted space and keyboard facilities apply again, so it makes sense.

For me, Opalcalc sits nicely between the input complexity of the calculator (infix or postfix? Do I start with a number and apply a trig function to it, or start with the function as if I were writing the formula on paper? How do I get at the stats functions again?) and the big iron of the fullblown spreadsheet, and it needs me to have a full-size keyboard I can use with it without having to grope for symbols.

And some of the things it can do would need Google, otherwise. How many days to Christmas? (@ 25 dec 2015 - @ today as whole days) What's $15 in euro? ($15 as euro) How many centimetres in 12 fathoms? (12 fathoms as cm)

And the developer is still tinkering with it, and that $15 is a lifetime license. Personally, I think it's worth every cent. But then, I'm a bit weird. :)

ayryq:
For me, Opalcalc sits nicely between the input complexity of the calculator (infix or postfix? Do I start with a number and apply a trig function to it, or start with the function as if I were writing the formula on paper? How do I get at the stats functions again?) and the big iron of the fullblown spreadsheet, and it needs me to have a full-size keyboard I can use with it without having to grope for symbols.

And some of the things it can do would need Google, otherwise. How many days to Christmas? (@ 25 dec 2015 - @ today as whole days) What's $15 in euro? ($15 as euro) How many centimetres in 12 fathoms? (12 fathoms as cm)
-oblivion (May 17, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now I'm thinking "this sounds like a FARR plugin." How cool if you could use the syntax from Opal in FCalc?

And the developer is still tinkering with it, and that $15 is a lifetime license. Personally, I think it's worth every cent. But then, I'm a bit weird.
-oblivion (May 17, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
You—and most of the community here at DC—are not typical in your willingness to pay for software you find useful.

Curt:
I forgot, ESB is also offering a FREE version: ESBCalc http://www.esbconsult.com/esbcalc/esbcalc.htm

ESBCalc™ v7.3.1 zip download - ESBCalc is a Freeware Scientific Calculator for Windows with Infix Notation, Brackets, Scientific Functions (Trigonometric, Hyperbolic, Logarithmic - including Base 10, Base 2 & Natural - plus more), Memory, Paper Trail, Result History List and more. Includes Prefix Function support so that Log (1.3) can be entered as log 1.3 rather than as 1.3 log which is also available if you prefer that behaviour. The current state of Precedence, Prefix Functions, etc can be displayed at startup to help avoid confusion.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version