ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Judy's TenKey (10Key) award-winning calculator

<< < (4/6) > >>

ayryq:
I guess it might not be the most traditional looking calculator, but I discovered OpalCalc here
-oblivion (May 16, 2015, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, at least from the screenshots that looks very handy. And as for "power under the hood"... I didn't even know there were different kinds of modulus. He suggests that an easy alternative to using the "+" (shift + "=") symbol is to simply press the "#" key - not sure what keyboard layout makes that easier. I poked around the site to see if I could guess, but all I found was that the author is a really eclectic, interesting person. He's got a program that converts any picture to sound, for example.

I'm not sure how many licenses OpalCalc is going to sell at $15, though, even with evangelists such as yourself.

Innuendo:
Ever since I had to buy my daughter a TI 84+ CSE for school, I have been using Wabbitemu when I need [her to use] a calculator. :D  (No downloaded TI ROM required, and there's an Android version too!)

And since Lauren has... err... misplaced her calculator, she is now using Wabbitemu on her laptop as well when she has that sort of assignment...
-x16wda (May 11, 2015, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wish I would have had knowledge of this in my college algebra class! And it looks like it will even load modules/programs designed for TI calculators as well.

All versions are freeware so I don't know why IainB left it off his list, though. There's nothing out there like this & it sure beats buying one of those expensive TI calculators.

OpalCalc looks brilliant. I would never use it enough to justify buying it, but I'm glad it's available *and* it is $5 cheaper than the program listed in the OP.

tomos:
just btw:

He suggests that an easy alternative to using the "+" (shift + "=") symbol is to simply press the "#" key - not sure what keyboard layout makes that easier.
-ayryq (May 16, 2015, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

on the qwertz keyboard (German language), the '#' key is easily accessible without qualifier keys

ayryq:
just btw:

He suggests that an easy alternative to using the "+" (shift + "=") symbol is to simply press the "#" key - not sure what keyboard layout makes that easier.
-ayryq (May 16, 2015, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

on the qwertz keyboard (German language), the '#' key is easily accessible without qualifier keys
-tomos (May 16, 2015, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
I tried to figure out why this would be - I found an answer in the British keyboard: Shift+3 gives you £ - a necessary character there, and so an extra key was added, making the enter key smaller, to still have #. In German it looks like Shift+3 gives you § . Not sure what use they have for that, seems like a € would be more useful.

IainB:
Ever since I had to buy my daughter a TI 84+ CSE for school, I have been using Wabbitemu when I need [her to use] a calculator. :D  (No downloaded TI ROM required, and there's an Android version too!)

And since Lauren has... err... misplaced her calculator, she is now using Wabbitemu on her laptop as well when she has that sort of assignment...
-x16wda (May 11, 2015, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wish I would have had knowledge of this in my college algebra class! And it looks like it will even load modules/programs designed for TI calculators as well.
All versions are freeware so I don't know why IainB left it off his list, though. There's nothing out there like this & it sure beats buying one of those expensive TI calculators.

OpalCalc looks brilliant. I would never use it enough to justify buying it, but I'm glad it's available *and* it is $5 cheaper than the program listed in the OP.
-Innuendo (May 16, 2015, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Innuendo : I didn't consider (or claim) my list to be comprehensive at all. However, Wabbitemu is now on my list as I downloaded and installed it just now!

@x16wda: Thanks for the link to Wabbitemu. I  empathise with you regarding the ability of schoolchildren to lose their new school calculators. Being a collector (and constructor) of calculators from way back, I had already acquired an assortment of several good used ones (discarded/free), which I cleaned up and overhauled and got working tickety-boo. I kept 2 of the fx type for when my daughter would need them, and now she does, and today it transpired that she seems to have already "misplaced" one of them, so is using the 2nd as a backup. I have given most of the the rest to a local charity mission shop that I regularly take stuff to (from dumpster diving and people giving things to me as they know I collect for charity).

So, I haven't bought a calculator in years, though I did buy two of the superb Texas Instruments "Little Professor" educational math drilling calculators a couple of years back. They were very difficult to locate, but I finally managed to source them from nearby Australia. They get their power from ambient light and have an LCD display, but I would have preferred the older - now obsolete - battery-driven versions which had a red LED display. I reckon they were probably a more visually stimulating and fun design for kids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version