ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

uBlock ad blocker and unwanted behavior

<< < (2/5) > >>

ewemoa:
FWIW, I think there may be something relevant starting here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=40622.msg379703#msg379703

tomos:
I've been using uBlock for my ad blocker in Chrome for a while.  The memory footprint and cpu usage is a lot less than adblock plus, and it works well.  But recently, they added something where they block urls in requested popups by killing the tab.  It opens up the tab, then kills it.  And it's very hard to disable if you actually *want* to go to the link without disabling it for that entire domain.  So you end up not being able to click in e-mails to go to the location, even if you don't care- without potentially disabling it for those ones that directly use that domain.

Does anyone know how to disable the killing of tabs with uBlock?  I haven't been able to find it...
-wraith808 (May 08, 2015, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

so, do you (or anyone else?) think that ublock is preferable to ublock origin?
(I mean preferable in terms of how it works.)

ewemoa:
FWIW, the following somewhat non-technical aspect had me leaning the other way (i.e. not favoring ublock, but rather ublock origin):

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=40622.msg379841#msg379841

tomos:
^ yeah, I didnt mean to ignore the, eh, 'non-technical' aspects ewemoa.
But after having followed a few of the other links above, it didnt seem to me that anyone is particularly at fault - my impression is that the original main guy was struggling with it's overwhelming popularity; then it was taken over by a young guy who seems to have done a reasonable job in spite of his mistakes (initially claiming authorship seems to have been his only major mistake).

Hence my focus on the technical aspects.

mwb1100:
it was taken over by a young guy
-tomos (May 12, 2015, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thread I read indicates that it was more or less dumped on that guy with no notice - gorhill (the original developer) posted a comment to some commit thread saying essentially, "I'm done with this, can you take over the repo?".  Also, it seems like the new maintainer has been very willing to rectify any mistakes or issues that have been pointed out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version