ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Utility to handle files/folders with illegal characters

<< < (5/5)

def:
I don't understand why "def" not yet have tested SetACL Studio https://helgeklein.com/setacl-studio/ - his "IDEA" is clearly not that easy to bring alive.

--------------

how to delete this empty file?Try this - download SetACL Studio (which has a 30 day free trial) and navigate to the folder and see exactly what's there. This is useful software - -x16wda (May 23, 2015, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
- "useful software"; you can say that again! It didn't ask any questions, but deleted the empty file just like it would have deleted any other file. BRAVO! Thank you, x16wda,   :Thmbsup: 
(but of course, normal price is €90 - so it should be able to do a lot more than those freeware apps)-Curt (May 23, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Try SetACL Studio https://helgeklein.com/setacl-studio/

-Curt (June 22, 2015, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yea, now I'm feeling guilty.  :-[

There are several reasons why I didn't test it (which are my own faults - not saying that SetACL Studio was bad in any way).

Firstly, I underestimated the work that would be required for programming this by a huge margin (hence I suggested it as a Coding Snack which was clearly a mistake). Secondly, I have tried to find freeware instead of payware for a task that I'd probably only need once in my life. Thirdly, after trying out several freeware tools that failed on this task, I was sure that any tool that didn't explicitly advertise "can handle file names with illegal characters" is not worth a try. Fourthly, SetACL Studio gave the impression (to me, at least) that it has only something to do with security permissions and not file names. Fifthly, SetACL Studio is payware - now, I'm not generally opposed to paying for software, but if I'd pay for a lot of features that I don't need (or that I don't even understand, for that matter), then I'm being reluctant. And sixthly, the problem wasn't that urgent to begin with, i.e. if no easy free/cheap solution comes about, reinstalling Linux is good enough for me.

Sorry for my ambiguous stance on this and, again, thanks for all your input. It's nice to know that according to Curt, SetACL Studio works for such files.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version