ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Utility to handle files/folders with illegal characters

<< < (4/5) > >>

x16wda:
Would be interested in knowing if SetACL Studio will work for this. It has a 30 day trial that ought to give you enough time to try it.

def:
Would be interested in knowing if SetACL Studio will work for this. It has a 30 day trial that ought to give you enough time to try it.-x16wda (June 19, 2015, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not, as it's not a permission/security problem, although I have not tested this particular tool. Generally, when tools try to delete my test file they complain that there (supposedly) is no such file. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

However, I do have tested a bunch of deletion/renaming tools suggested on the internet. None worked.  :-\  :D

Most problems with "illegal" characters are related to exceeding the Windows file/path name length limits or funny symbols from Unicode file names (and missing fonts). As stated above, the chkdsk trick doesn't work for me. I have even tried to delete the whole containing folder, but no luck.

The only option seems to be the special tool DelinvFile, but I think $31.95 (USD) is a bit much...

Anyway, in the meantime I have reinstalled Linux (not just because of this problem, btw), so I will remove the files in question bit by bit.

Concluding I would like to say thanks to you all for your kind help. Feel free to suggest more solutions, maybe they can help other users with the same problem, although I personally will use Linux to remove all problematic files left. Thanks again.  :Thmbsup:

4wd:
However, I do have tested a bunch of deletion/renaming tools suggested on the internet. None worked.  :-\  :D-def (June 19, 2015, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Reminds of when I had the same problem about 20 years ago, I had to write a program to rename/delete files that Windows wouldn't touch.

However that was when Windows 3.1 and FAT32 were still the norm.

Shades:
If you still have a 32-bit Windows OS, then I would suggest to download and use PortableLinux. Because then you can run Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) both at the same time. Whatever file gives you problems in on one OS, might not be problematic in the other as Windows and Linux have a different set of illegal characters that can be used with file names.

Too bad PortableLinux only works with 32-bit versions of Windows...the software (co-linux) that allows Linux to run besides Windows is 32-bit only and doesn't look like it is going to be fixed any time soon. Having said that, I personally have tried and tested PortableLinux successfully with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows7 and Windows 8.

Curt:
I don't understand why "def" not yet have tested SetACL Studio https://helgeklein.com/setacl-studio/ - his "IDEA" is clearly not that easy to bring alive.

--------------

how to delete this empty file?Try this - download SetACL Studio (which has a 30 day free trial) and navigate to the folder and see exactly what's there. This is useful software - -x16wda (May 23, 2015, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
- "useful software"; you can say that again! It didn't ask any questions, but deleted the empty file just like it would have deleted any other file. BRAVO! Thank you, x16wda,   :Thmbsup: 
(but of course, normal price is €90 - so it should be able to do a lot more than those freeware apps)-Curt (May 23, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Try SetACL Studio https://helgeklein.com/setacl-studio/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version