ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fax Software

<< < (3/6) > >>

IainB:
Yes, it seems to be quite common to find one's own discussion on a subject coming up in a search on that subject.
Almost real-time computing.

You wrote:
"the results are only drivers when you scrutinize them closer."

Yes, and for Linux and Windows OS. But did you notice the dates on some of the files mentioned? e.g., 1998.
In my comments above, I was trying to avoid saying that I thought modems went out with the Ark. There - now I've said it! In light of which, I would recommend that you reconsider your requirements and so exclude the modem.

One can steel oneself to do these things if one has to. For example, I threw out my approx. 12 y/old  HP DeskJet 1220C A3 printer only a couple of weeks ago, some months after having already replaced it with the Brother MFC-J65IODW A3 lnkjet printer, FAX, scanner.

SKA:
http://www.snappysoftware.com/snappyfaxlite/LitevsDesktopFeatureMatrix.htm

http://ssl.electrasoft.com/usbmodem.htm

Ska

4wd:
Impact Color Fax Lite

Personally, I just use Windows Fax & Scan since I only use it once every couple of years or so - never had a problem with any write protection stuff on Windows XP, 7, and 8.

IainB:
The above suggestions look pretty handy to me, but they are not cheap and @brahman seems adamant that he wants free software, and for it to run using his existing "Agere based LSI USB modem".
He's already using Windows Fax and Scan, but he "cannot send a fax because of some write protection BS message."

Yet @40hz says "Personally, I just use Windows Fax & Scan ... never had a problem with any write protection stuff on Windows XP, 7, and 8."

So @brahman already has an apparently perfectly good modem, and the appropriate and $FREE software - and that all should meet his requirements.
However, it's apparently not working properly on send fax.
So, maybe we are looking at it all wrong, and simply need to eliminate the cause of the error "write protection message".

I don't know much about that modem, but I would presume that:
(a) IF the modem device had all the necessary and up-to-date firmware and drivers for that modem, and was suitable for whatever version of Windows he was using, and
(b) IF the Windows Fax & Scan was up-to-date, then
(c) there should be no error or write protection message.

So lets help him get up to that state and see if the problem goes away, and, if it doesn't, then we carry out some problem analysis with him.

Stoic Joker:
So, maybe we are looking at it all wrong, and simply need to eliminate the cause of the error "write protection message".
-IainB (May 08, 2015, 04:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Personally I would love to see a screen shot of that error message to try and ascertain its origin. As I too have always had very good luck with the native Windows Fax & Scan utility. This could very well be just a configuration issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version