ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

moving data from desktop to laptop

(1/2) > >>

Steven Avery:
The laptop is a Dell Windows 7 Home Premium, picked up inexpensively.

The desktop is my home puter, but I am in between places, without the FIOS connection.

Is there a way to connect by USB or something (or the old Laplink cables) by just turning
on the desktop.  And then use a file manager to transfer?

Or do i have to haul the whole puter, with monitor, keyboard and mouse, and get it online.
And do all the Dells of the last few years have a built-in wireless?  So that the xfer is reasonably easy.

Thanks!

Steven

Renegade:
I'm not sure what you mean there.

You will need to install all the software that you want on the laptop. I don't know of any **reliable** software that will do that for you. Perhaps someone else does.

As for migrating data, that's a simple copy. Just connect over your router and copy it.

I don't know if that helps, but perhaps this post may help to bump the topic up where someone else sees it and can give you a better answer.

And do all the Dells of the last few years have a built-in wireless?
-Steven Avery (May 03, 2015, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

As far as I know, yes - they all have wireless built in.

skwire:
As for migrating data, that's a simple copy. Just connect over your router and copy it.-Renegade (May 05, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

And, if you don't have a router or switch, you can set up a point-to-point network between your computers using a simple Ethernet crossover cable and copy files over that.

Shades:
It might even be an idea to get a portable hard disk (roughly the same size as your internal; hard disk. Hook it up to the appropriate computer and start transferring data. This has the advantage that you have a (new) portable hard disk that can be very useful for other purposes (backup ?) after you are finished transferring data.

Although it shouldn't be difficult to get the crossover cable, setting up things always proved less than reliable when I went through that in the XP-era. Perhaps this has improved in the more modern versions of Windows. Never went through that anymore, because now I always have a spare switch (and some UTP cables) lying around for just this kind of problem. Always fast, always reliable and easy to setup.

Moving around a lot of data over wireless connections is never as fast as cables, so if you can get over that inconvenience, this whole ordeal is over in a (significantly) shorter amount of time.

4wd:
If they're Gb ports, (or even if only one is), more than likely they'll be Auto-MDI/X in which case you can use x-over or non x-over cables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version