ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

compressed archive NSE (7Z/RAR/ISO etc)

<< < (2/3) > >>

IainB:
^ That iFilter looks interesting. Do you know how it performs? I tend to avoid installing much of anything as I've had performance issues in the past with some software and figured it's often not worth it to bother.
-Renegade (May 04, 2015, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Performance? I have no idea (but see below), though Filters have been employed in Windows Indexing for ages.
If I look down the list of Indexing Options-->Advanced-->File Types tab, I see hundreds of file extensions and literally dozens of file content filters, including, for example:

* Journal File Filter Class.
* XML Paper Specification Filter.
* Office Outlook MSG iFilter.
* PDF XChange PDF iFilter Handler (replaces the proprietary Adobe-provided one, which doesn't seem to work properly).
* Tiff Filter Class.
* ZIP Filter
Amongst the most important (for me) would be the several MS Office document filters (installed by/for MS Office), and the PDF, Tiff and ZIP filters.
I don't yet know of (or have) a 7Zip file content filter.

Some idea of performance can be seen if you take a look at the Event Log for Desktop Search/Index. You will see that, under apparently normal circumstances, it is repeatedly episodically crashing and self-recovering (or getting stuck in a recovering loop!) due to "Index corruption" or similar. Since MS would arguably have probably got the Indexing code down to a fine art by now, my suspicion is that all those Filter plugins might be (could be) making the thing a bit fragile - hence the crashes.

umeca74:
I fixed a few things with explorer columns and it now also registers better for windows 8/10. If you want to try the latest 1008 beta here's the direct download link (32/64 bit)
http://zabkat.com/test/7zNSE_setup_beta.exe

IainB:
^^ @umeca74: Thanks for that!

This is a comparison set of views:

umeca74:
the pic looks allright
funny you brought up 2xExplorer, I was using it today trying to troubleshoot a problem with windows 10 copy progress bars

IainB:
The pic looks great - I mean, the viewing plugin is working fine on the .7z folder - to all intents and purposes the compressed files look almost like files in ordinary folders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version