ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome Portable in a RamDisk = decadence?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
-thanks for telling about MxNitro, I had never heard of it before! http://usa.maxthon.com/nitro/
--------------

I know nothing about RAM Disks, but your post made me so far look up http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-a-ram-disk-and-how-you-can-set-one-up/. At the risk of sounding decadent, my first question is, if you are using a physical or a virtual RAM disk?
 :tellme:
-Curt (April 29, 2015, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  I am using physical.  I allocated 512 MB formatted as FAT32.  So far the only quirk I've found in DiskMaster Free is even if you uncheck the option to put the system and/or personal Temp folder on the RamDisk, it does it anyway.  It names the RamDisk Temp and there's a Temp folder.  I guess they just assumed nobody would opt out of it.  :)

This mxNitro, I can see not getting pulled into a zillion extensions, but there should be some basic stuff like:
Putting the Bookmarks Toolbar as a Toolbar
some method of Ad blocking
more sophisticated download management
some kind of built in SpeedDial.

Even if not implemented all that well I am so used to looking at the thumbnails sometimes I forget the url of the site I want to go to.  Having to type everything in is a bit much.  But at least if there was a Bookmarks Toolbar you could set up folders and a "open all in folder" would be something to speed up launching groups of sites.

I suggested on Maxthon forums mxNirto subforum that the ability to put the Bookmarks Toolbar as a Toolbar seemed like a miminal feature.  After all, the thing imports my bookmarks and recognizes it.  I don't think I ever got a reply.  

mxNitro things I just noticed:  no spell check, when I hover the mouse on the smileys I get no tooltip.  Wow!!  Talk about Spartan(and no I don't mean the new MS Browser.)   I'll have to start composing in an editor with spell check and pasting.

tomos:
^ I had it downloaded but, after all that, will probably leave it in it's box.
(btw I've finally given up on FF/PM variations - for Windows 8.1 at any rate: now trying SRWare Iron. Very happy so far :up:)

Curt:
my guess was that Maxthon could get more Google-money for this freeware, if add-blocking was impossible.
The missing tooltips was too annoying for me, so MxNitro has left my PC. It lasted an hour. Now, SRWare Iron? Looking forward to hear more from Tom, in time.
------------

I am surprised by your modest 512MB allocation, Miles. I expected at least a GigaB. And with a temp-folder included, my unqualified guess would have been 2GB! But as I said, I know nothing about all this.

MilesAhead:
^ I had it downloaded but, after all that, will probably leave it in it's box.
(btw I've finally given up on FF/PM variations - for Windows 8.1 at any rate: now trying SRWare Iron. Very happy so far :up:)
-tomos (April 29, 2015, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did Iron a couple of years ago.  At least then there were enough incompatibilities to make it annoying.  Mainly chrome extensions would not install out of the box since the paths were different.

I don't know why chromium stopped working with Flash.  I used those snapshots for a couple of years.  Anyway, on this Laptop it can be annoying waiting for FF to load just to check something.  I still have it as default browser.

MilesAhead:
One thing that is funny for a browser that has no extras(MxNitro)..  If you hover the mouse on google results it will load the page in a panel about 1/2 the size of the browser or larger.  I guess it could save a lot of opening in new tabs.  Just move the mouse down the results.

If they all do this now I didn't notice.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version