ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tweaking.com Registry Backup

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
...www.foolishit.com...-Giampy (April 28, 2015, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D

MilesAhead:
I copy the registry even by Regedit of Windows.
What about this method? Is it reliable? Does it export the whole registry just like the VSS method?

-Giampy (April 28, 2015, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

The link in my first post has a good explanation.  Just like when you do an image backup with Macrium Reflect a snapshot is taken to avoid conflicts with other software writing keys etc..  It is worth reading I think.

MilesAhead:
...www.foolishit.com...-Giampy (April 28, 2015, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D
-tomos (April 28, 2015, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's unfortunate the way http lower cases everything.  :)

Giampy:
The link in my first post has a good explanation... It is worth reading I think.-MilesAhead (April 28, 2015, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had already read those pages but there are technical terms I don't know/understand (API? In my zone API are bees.  :) ).

I thought Regedit was a distinctive program.

MilesAhead:
The link in my first post has a good explanation... It is worth reading I think.-MilesAhead (April 28, 2015, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had already read those pages but there are technical terms I don't know/understand (API? In my zone API are bees.  :) ).

I thought Regedit was a distinctive program.
-Giampy (April 28, 2015, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

API = Application Programmer Interface

The OS provides function calls for the application programmer to do stuff, like open files, change screen mode etc..

Other than this utility I've seen other write-ups why Regedit methods aren't that great to use.  Also the fact that I tried exporting and importing using it and it never worked as expected.

But the main reason to use Shadow Copy is so that the files do not get corrupted.  Once the snapshot is made processes writing to the Registry do not alter the files in the snapshot.  It's the same mechanism used by some of the Sandbox programs like ToolWiz TimeFreeze.  Programs or viruses that think they are writing to C: partition are really writing to a cache file on C: set up by the TimeFreeze program.  It is virtualized.

Regedit is better than using nothing.  But I like the Shadow Copy approach.  Even though it is dated ERUNT still provides some backup.  But it doesn't cost anything to use Shadow Copy.  It just does a better job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version