ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PayPal about to claim rights in all IP sold/licensed using PayPal for payments

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
from
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/yahoo-maps-pipes-facebook-lite-crap-tech-news-digest/
(makeuseof.com news digest - so you will have to scroll ~half-way down the page)-tomos (June 10, 2015, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wait... Yahoo Maps is going away at the end of June?!?! Damn it!

JavaJones:
Every time a company changes their ToS to include these kinds of clauses people freak out, and every time it has had the same basic reasoning and meaning. It has happened with Google, Facebook, Flickr, and many more. No company in their right mind would actually try to appropriate your content *and get away with it*. It's way too far reaching, and the actual potential benefit to the company is questionable. We need to be vigilant to make sure no one is trying to do those things merely *because* people expect it to be too audacious, but in reality the actual danger from ToS changes is fairly low.

- Oshyan

rgdot:
Not currently but used Yahoo Pipes before, never Yahoo maps that I recall.

And I agree with Oshyan.

Vigilance but not paranoia or words to that effect ;)

wraith808:
I'll chance adding this here - I know it's not really on topic... :-[ but didnt think worth a new thread (?)

PayPal Can Now Call You at Home

PayPal’s new terms and conditions means that users in the United States may receive automated marketing calls, emails, and text messages from the company and its affiliates. The relevant passage states, “You consent to receive autodialed or pre-recorded calls and text messages from PayPal at any telephone number that you have provided us or that we have otherwise obtained.”

This has caused consternation amongst users, who are being advised to “close your account before July 1, 2015 … [to] not be bound by the amended terms.” PayPal is insisting users will have the chance to opt out of these unsolicited communications, but automatically opting everybody in in the first place is the main source of complaint. Here’s hoping PayPal listens to it users, or they may go looking for alternatives.
--- End quote ---
from
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/yahoo-maps-pipes-facebook-lite-crap-tech-news-digest/
(makeuseof.com news digest - so you will have to scroll ~half-way down the page)

and
Making Online Payments – 5 PayPal Alternatives to Consider
-tomos (June 10, 2015, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the alternatives page by itself is enough for a new thread.  Trying to pay for things online feels like choosing between getting hit with a rock or thrown without a parachute into the hard place to paraphrase a saying.

xtabber:
Since 2013. the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) has forbidden auto dialed calls to US cell phones without prior express written consent.  Implicit consent and prior business relationships are explicitly disallowed as exemptions.  The fines for noncompliance are steep.

The FCC has already announced that it is looking into the matter, as is the New York State Attorney General.

Unless PayPal is planning to liquidate or move to Russia, I really can't understand what they, or their lawyers, think they are going to accomplish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version