ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

facebook tracing

<< < (2/3) > >>

xtabber:
please understand it's not the location I live and I typed in fb when I opened the account, that got revealed, it's my actual location at the time of the conversation!
-kalos (April 23, 2015, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your Internet connection provides geolocation information whenever you are online.

This is the case even if you turn off location services in your browser or mobile device (if you even have that choice), because all service providers capture this information and sell it to data brokers and online services.  If you connect through a mobile phone, your precise location is captured, at least in the US, because all mobile phones are required to provide GPS coordinates for emergency services and law enforcement.

Facebook makes your location available to advertisers to "enhance the customer experience" by informing you of sellers near you. 

Curt:
and the guy you were chatting with, did not have to do anything out of the ordinary, he just had to read what facebook is saying: >"Curt" "1 minute" "Copenhagen"<. But as already said, this information may vary with your settings.

kalos:
and the guy you were chatting with, did not have to do anything out of the ordinary, he just had to read what facebook is saying: >"Curt" "1 minute" "Copenhagen"<. But as already said, this information may vary with your settings.
-Curt (April 25, 2015, 12:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

no, it's something more than that
look at this post:
https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10151853396070572
she says:
"When I chat with people on Facebook it tells them my location and if they click on my name they can see my exact location! How do I fix this?"

where exactly facebook tells her location? that could be the ordinary you are saying that facebook displays ''from Copenhagen"
but she continues saying, if they click on her name (not sure what she means) they can see her EXACT location!!!

this is probably what I am refering too, but I have not seen/done it on facebook
any idea?

tomos:
where exactly facebook tells her location? that could be the ordinary you are saying that facebook displays ''from Copenhagen"
but she continues saying, if they click on her name (not sure what she means) they can see her EXACT location!!!

this is probably what I am refering too, but I have not seen/done it on facebook
any idea?
-kalos (April 25, 2015, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

* have you even looked at the settings yet ?
* or tried any of the suggestions in that thread ?
* i.e. what exactly have you tried so far ?
* apart from asking questions here ?

kalos:
Tomos I think you misundestand and misbehave

facebook has a stupid organising and has settings in many different places
facebook.com/settings has many sub-settings, none of which refers to revealing your location or not
I already looked at security and privacy (who knows what is the difference between them)

which suggestions do you refer to?
I am asking questions because you don't seem to understand what I am talking about
it's not the generic City you get from your ip trace which resolves your ISP info, it's more precise than that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version