ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB 3.0 problems with Windows; general discussion

<< < (2/3) > >>

superboyac:
In my experience, problems with USB 3.0 have come from the controller on the computer, or more specifically the drivers for the host controller.  It's worth seeing if newer drivers are available for the chipset on your host controller.

eSATA is very stable, but it will not work with drives >2TB on older computers that do not have BIOS support for large drives, whereas USB 3.0 (with a reasonably recent driver) will.

I have successfully used a U3eSATA USB to eSATA converter to attach a 3GB drive in an eSATA enclosure through a USB 3.0 port to an older computer that would not recognize it when connected directly to the computer's eSATA port.
-xtabber (April 22, 2015, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yea, good points.  i remember that 2TB limit.  That caused problems that resulted in corrupted drives, too.  At the time, the thing that fixed it was the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software.  NOw, most motherboards can handle it fine.

That adapter is nice.  You know what I can't find?  The opposite of that thing...that is, an adapter that takes an USB3 and turns it into an eSATA plug.  That would be VERY handy.

4wd:
Everything is the problem a lot of the time. -superboyac (April 23, 2015, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

What version are you using?

This used to be a problem with earlier versions, I can't say I've had it since about v1.2.1.451a.

Also, you can set Everything's options to either completely ignore removables, or index but not monitor, (that way it'll index on connection but won't continuously monitor changes) - that might help.

USB 3.0 problems with Windows; general discussion

It was hanging on the virtual disk manager service process.  I'm trying to resolve this problem as I'd really like to be able to use the drive on that computer.
--- End quote ---

Next time you could try disabling it in the Device Manager before pulling it, you'll need to re-enable it in Device Manager next time you connect it.

superboyac:
It's not really a problem...more like it's the program hanging up the safe ejection.  You just have to turn the program off to ejects sometimes.  I'm talking if you want the drive included in the everything index.  Otherwise, yes, turn off the drive as 4wd shows above.

The more difficult one is when something like svchost is hanging up the ejection.  Those are harder to figure out which program is doing it.  And still more difficult is when no process is hanging it up but you can't eject.

superboyac:
I just had an interesting experience.  In my previous discussion with fodder, i was saying that esata was more reliable than usb.  well, i just had the opposite experience.  My usually reliable esata connection for external drives started not working, as in, the drive wasn't being detected at all.  I checked the cables, I checked bios settings, etc., nothing had changed.

Then, I tried the USB3 connection, and it worked perfectly!  And it's been very stable since.  So I don't know anymore, lol.  FYI, the device I'm using is an inatek dock.

cranioscopical:
My usually reliable esata connection for external drives started not working, as in, the drive wasn't being detected at all.
-superboyac (May 11, 2015, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, when that happened to me I found that Windows updates had changed the driver. If you google around some, and if that's your problem, you'll find the steps to fix it. Those steps were a bit more convoluted than I'd have expected but I fixed the problem on two different machines. Looking back, quickly, I see that it was related to "JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.65_WHQL_eSATA.zip". HTH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version