ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Ignore applications Bug

(1/1)

andymillman:
Hi there is a major bug in the current release version v2.26.0 of clipboard help+spell.
In the "options"->"capture options" there is a setting for excluding certain programs. This is an essential feature for anyone using a password manager (e.g. keepass), since otherwise clipboard will store any copied passwords in plaintext!
For some reason when you set it to exclude a program, e.g. KeePass.exe, it will correctly ignore anything copied from that program. However on restarting the computer, clipbaord help+spell will for some reason "forget" the setting (even though the settings are still there) and start copying everything from that program again! This means any passwords I copy from keepass will be stored in plaintext by clipboard help+spell.

Any way to fix? Apart from that one bug (which currently makes it unusable for me) the program is otherwise fantastic.

Many thanks!

mouser:
How strange..
Ok let's try to pinpoint what's going wrong..

You say that "However on restarting the computer, clipbaord help+spell will for some reason "forget" the setting (even though the settings are still there) and start copying everything from that program again!"

So does this mean that the program names that you put in the ignore list are still present in the options? But CHS is not ignoring them?

If you then close the options after checking them, does it start ignoring after that?

I've written about this before, but the best solution for telling CHS to not copy such stuff to clipboard is to have those security applications properly tag such clipboard data as something that should be ignored by clipboard tools.  There is a flag that has been established for this: "CF_CLIPBOARD_VIEWER_IGNORE", and according to KeePass, they should support it: http://keepass.info/news/n071012_1.09.html

Can you check to see if maybe this is disabled in your KeePass or something like that?

mouser:
Ok I see the option in KeePass, and for some reason it's disabled by default and marked as "not recommended" -- no sign as to why:

If you enable that, it will tell CHS not to save such entries to clipboard.

NOTE: We should still try to get to the bottom of what is happening with the ignore feature problem you describe, so any clues you can find about that I'd like to hear.

andymillman:
Hi many thanks for the quick reply!
You say that "However on restarting the computer, clipbaord help+spell will for some reason "forget" the setting (even though the settings are still there) and start copying everything from that program again!"

So does this mean that the program names that you put in the ignore list are still present in the options? But CHS is not ignoring them?
-mouser (April 20, 2015, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes the program names (i.e. "KeePass.exe") are still present in the options. But CHS is not ignoring them.

If you then close the options after checking them, does it start ignoring after that?
-mouser (April 20, 2015, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good question! Actually if I open the options and just check them and then close, it starts working correctly, i.e. it starts ignoring keepass.exe as it should. Hope that helps track down the bug!

Many thanks for the keepass info btw. That option was turned off by default in keepass (I was not aware there was such an option!). I've switched it on, and CBH seems to respect that. Will see if keepass plays nice with it.
Many thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version