ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kingston USB 3.0 for ISO usage

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I am starting to like Kingston USB 3.0 as a container for install media.  This 16 GB flash only writes at around 10 MBs but it reads pretty fast.  This makes it handy for install media.

At $8 a pop I find myself getting more of them.  I have one for Visual Studio 2013 Pro.  I just ordered another to use with Windows 7 Pro.  It also works pretty well as a bootable recovery for the Laptop.  I'm not sure how rugged it is.  But so far I haven't had any cause for concern.

Edit: I wish it came in more than one color.  I find myself putting a rubber band on to distinguish the contents.  I tried a web search for computer related decals or stickers.  But I didn't find anything useful for sticking on the side of the drive.  Printable labels might be fine if I was at home with my own printer.  But for something I can just stick on I didn't see anything good.

4wd:
Use a CD pen, (permanent marker, Sharpie, etc), that's what I usually do.  You can always wipe it off with a little metho if required.

I wish they'd come out with a USB3 version of the Lexar Firefly, small with a nice big LED indicator that you could write on to show what it was used for.

f0dder:
I've been using USB flash drives for OS installs for years, even USB2 tends to outperform optical media. A 20x DVD drive can theoretically read 26MB/s, but that's at the outer rim of a pressed DVD - the reading speed starts out closer to 1X, and you don't tend to hit 20X for home-burnt media, and any random I/O kills performance totally... so a USB2 flash that can do 20MB/s easily beats your optical drive, and since USB3 ones can easily read 100+MB/s, I haven't touched opticals for ages :)

As for ruggedness, I really dunno. It's been a while since I've had a flashdrive die on me, but when they do, it tends to be from one day to the next, without any warning, and without a lot of use. I don't trust those things, and use the solely for installs or data transfer, not for long-time storage of data.

f0dder:
Oh, and I'm annoyed with the way some manufacturers advertise speed. My 32GB SanDisk UltraFit is advertised as "up to 130MB/s read", but only does 40MB/s. It's stupid that they let their marketing goons be so deceptive... it's almost a 100MB/s difference, and 40MB/s is impressive for such a tiny thing, anyway.

For comparison, my 32GB Corsair Voyager GT 3.0 does 203MB/s - installs are preeetty fast from this one :)

MilesAhead:
@4wd thanks for the suggestion.  Cranioscopical suggested a kid's sticker instead of a label.  I'm lazy and it turns out Walmart will send 4 sheets of kid stickers(some stuff with monkeys or something) to the local FedEx Store for less than a buck.  Now I just need to create a legend which monkey signifies which software.  :)  It may seem lazy but it is rapidly getting hot for dragging a bag in Miami.  The FedEx Store is right across the street from a MetroMover Station.  :)

@fodder I'm not sure how fast the install will read from these Kensingtons but sequential read of both a virgin stick and one after it has a lot of data on is around 100 MBs.  I added Blend from vstudio 2013 Pro and although it did no back flips I didn't fall asleep waiting. For $.50/GB that's ok.  :)

I'v owned various types of AData USB.  Some feel very light and flimsy, some rubbarized, some very rugged like the s102.  I don't know if it's luck but I don't remember one of them dying.  Maybe the rubbarized one as I had to squeeze it into a close space to plug it in.  One out of 10 or so seems pretty good.  Sandisk the first one I bought died which put me off the "sliding guts" design.  But you're right.  I just have to assume the worst.  I use the AData s102s for image backup as there's no other rational choice.  I can't lug WD Sata IIIs around in my bag.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version