ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR as bookmark manager?

<< < (3/3)

IainB:
...One thing I find handy with separate .url files is that if you have a project folder on the harddrive with some files (txt, pdf, doc and so on) you can also put some important links as .url in the same folder and get a visible overview of all components as you browse the folder.
-Nod5 (April 17, 2015, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

After thinking about what you say in that quote, I can see why you might have that as a requirement for improving (say) project file/folder categorisation and management on the hard drive, but it's apparently not relevant to the requirements as stated in the opening post by@gezley - which merely refers to the possibility of using FARR as some kind of a bookmarks manager.

One of the points I was making (perhaps not very well) in my comments above is that CHS looks like it could be a potential/de facto bookmarks manager already.
CHS offers up to 3 information view panes:

* Tree:  (Can be set to auto-hide.) This enables the construction of a relatively sophisticated relationship/categorisation hierarchy tree, with embedded SQL search logic. It is very flexible, though the SQL implementation seems to have been constrained somewhat and does not enable "condition-action" - i.e., action on certain logical conditions being met - such as (say) setting a Flag if a certain condition is met.

* Grid: - displays up to 24 user-selectable metadata columns (attributes/fields): These can be displayed in the CHS grid (of metadata) and can be selected and moved about in changed order, via a nifty little drop-down selector. Great thought seems to have gone into making this rather complex selection feature as simple and flexible to use as possible.

* Memo: (Can be set to auto-hide.) This shows the Title column as a heading, and below that the Clip Text.

So, for example, if, in Firefox I take a clip into CHS of your quote above, the data/metadata that ends up in CHS columns/panes includes:

* The quoted text (per above), in the Memo pane.
* The page/window title: "FARR as bookmark manager? - DonationCoder.com - Mozilla Firefox" in the WindowTitle column.
* The URL (in the Notes column. This is, however, apparently not editable/copyable by the user.
* The date/time of capture.
* The application name "Firefox" in the Application column.
Thus:

* Keywords/Tags: There is arguably no need for "keywords" or "tags" as the salient references are likely already captured. However, if one insisted in having separate "keywords" or "tags", then one could insert them in the Keyword or Flag or Type columns - which seem to be user-editable. In any event, these could be superfluous and it might be more efficient to append any extra keywords/tags to the body of the clip text, preceded by (say) a special character such as a "#" or something. For example, this is a practice recommended in the clipboard info.manager NoteFrog - as a manual edit - and it was automated in the PIM Lotus Agenda. There's also a predefined Ratings column (with a user-selectable ratings dropdown menu) in CHS, which could be put to some use.

* Finding bookmarks: Since the bookmarks would already be in a database in CHS, with search and SQL enquiry capability, then one could rapidly find the bookmarks using CHS search/SQL. I'm not sure whether the SQL search capability necessarily extends to all the fields/columns though. It may be that FARR could play a role here, by "injecting" the search enquiry into CHS and displaying the result in FARR.

There's probably more that could be said about this, but I think this now should better convey the general idea of what I was attempting to suggest in my earlier comments.

IainB:
Apropos of tags, from this post: Re: NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review
Some points I would make:
Berry (NoteFrog author) stated that the NF software is intended to be an Information Manager, rather than a Clipboard Manager. I think the original prototype for it was ClipGuru - a clipboard manager. I thus class it as a PIM (Personal Information Manager). (By comparison, CHS is apparently a Clipboard Manager that started out life as being intended as a PIM.)
NF is a WIP, and will be slowly getting there with each successive release. ...
Searches/hyperlinks:

* NF searches can be saved for re-use. (Similar to CHS, which uses saved SQL searches as "Favorites".) The effect in NF and CHS can be rather akin to "tagging" if you use special strings in text as tags - e.g., "#this is a tag", but you have to set each and every tag, which would be tedious in the extreme. Both NF and CHS could benefit significantly from automatic bulk text insertion/removal of the same text string into/from many clips.
* NF uses "Stacks", and I discovered that it had the ability to hyperlink content within an individual stack and between different stacks. This was apparently not intended as a design feature, and has been disabled. Still, it would be great to have. For example, OneNote has hyperlinking, and it works a treat - is very useful. You can hyperlink within a single OneNote Notebook, across multiple Notebooks, and externally - e.g., to a file on a local or network drive, or a Cloud drive, or a URL on the Internet.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version