ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

pound symbol

<< < (6/10) > >>

tomos:
[...] a simple AHK script:

--- ---^1:: Send, £ ; Use Ctrl+1 to send the pound symbol.
-skwire (April 15, 2015, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

added this to my AHK file, thanks :up:
works fine on a qwertz (german) laptop keyboard with Win.8.1
-tomos (April 15, 2015, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I added it too to my AHK, but it doesn't work  :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:
-kalos (April 15, 2015, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think they've stolen the pound symbol from your laptop Kalos :P
would be interesting to see if it (or any of the other solutions) work on other US hardware

cyberdiva:
In the past, when I've used a laptop or a netbook, there were keys in the middle of the keyboard that could be used as a number keypad if paired with  the laptop or netbook's Function (Fn) key.  For example, on my old Toshiba netbook, Fn+M = the keypad's 0, Fn+J=1, Fn+K=2, Fn+L=3, Fn+U=4, Fn+I=5, Fn+O=6, Fn+7=7, Fn+8=8, Fn+9=9.  And so if I then hold down the ALT key and then Fn+m, Fn+j, Fn+o, and Fn+l, that would be the equivalent of ALT+0163 and it would produce a £ .  Frankly, I found this a PITA, but it did work without my having to change the keyboard.  However, I confess that the last time I bought a laptop, I made sure it had a regular numeric keypad, since I type a fair amount in Spanish and want to be able to use the numeric keypad to type characters like ñ, é, ¿, etc.  However, if all you need is a very occasional £, it might be worth giving the Fn key method a try, assuming your laptop has one.

ayryq:
I used to use Linux; the version I used had a nifty system of using a hotkey (right Alt, perhaps) followed by a sensible sequence to make a special character. For example the sequence Alt, "-", "-", "-" creates an em-dash (" — "). Or alt, "e", " ' " gives an "é"

I missed this setup moving to windows. I can intuitively guess e + '  but I can't guess Alt+0233.

I found a program called "WinCompose" that lets me get this function back. It used to run on AHK but I guess it doesn't anymore.

By default for £ I enter L (or "l") and dash "-", or backwards (dash first) works too. I have it set to use the windows "Menu" key next to right-ctrl on my keyboard.

Most of the special characters I need work without me looking them up, after noting a few rules (ö is o + double quotes, â uses the greater-than sign OR the caret), but there is a dictionary available in the system tray at any time.

WinCompose's last update was a couple weeks ago.

https://github.com/SamHocevar/wincompose

Edit: This is confusing to explain with all the quotes. To quote the website, "A compose key allows to easily write special characters such as é ž à ō û ø ☺ ¤ ∅ « ♯ ⸘ Ⓚ ㊷ ♪ ♬ using short and often very intuitive key combinations. For instance, ö is obtained using o + ", and ♥ is obtained using < + 3."

TaoPhoenix:
£
-Curt (April 15, 2015, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay ...

(Cheesy music!)
Low-Tek Bird has a suggestion!
Why not just copy and paste it from a text file? I've kept a text file of "widgets" before for this kind of stuff.
Since Curt gave you one, instead of all these complex things (and most of them didn't work for me either!), just save Curt's to a text file of "widgets" and just copy it!

£ for £ it is the fastest way for me!

Let's make some emoticons!    £: )
(Guy in a Roman Centurion hat?)

Curt:
AltGr+163 also gives me £  :up:

Actually Windows Character Map is saying Alt+163. But I guess that would be on a normal PC, because on my laptop I have to use AltGr instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version