ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comodo Internet Security -- a cautionary tale?

<< < (7/8) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I went on a search looking for the article I had read way back when & it's nowhere to be found (the original URL now redirects to a web page for a 2015 review of MSE...not helpful!)
-Innuendo (April 19, 2015, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did you try the Wayback Machine? Despite its flaws, it seems to be the secret weapon a lot of "slightly lazy" companies trying to cover their tracks forget about!

Innuendo:
Did you try the Wayback Machine? Despite its flaws, it seems to be the secret weapon a lot of "slightly lazy" companies trying to cover their tracks forget about! -TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did you read the sentence I wrote after the one you quoted? :)

oblivion:
Just an update, for what little it's worth... I'm still using Avast Free.

I don't like it much -- occasionally it's clearly doing something behind the scenes because the computer becomes unresponsive, but it's hard to see what. One of the more positive points of Comodo Free -- however sluggish it might have been in comparison -- was that you could go and look at the tasks it was running and, if appropriate, tell them to stop. Avast, in comparison, is positively secretive.

I guess I have no right to complain about the adverts it throws up, but (and I have no real evidence for this assertion) it feels like it decides it's going to put an ad on the screen come what may, whatever else might be going on, because responsiveness will just go away entirely for a few seconds, then an ad will appear, then it'll be nicely whizzy again.

A side-issue: I've never really felt comfortable with Readyboost but I bought one of those tiny Sandisk things that hardly sticks out of the USB socket at all, 8Gb, reformatted it to exFAT (having seen a suggestion elsewhere on DC) and gave it all to ReadyBoost and it actually seems to have done something useful. The netbook is still occasionally sluggish but when Avast isn't busy doing anything in the background it actually feels faster than it's ever been. So... well, we'll see. I'm still open to suggestions!

Oh, and by the way:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

:)

oblivion:
I have given up on free solutions, for the time being.

Mostly because the only one that even got close to being acceptable really does seem to be a bit of a pain to work with.

So I'm now trying F-Secure AV (not any of the more comprehensive solutions they offer) in trial mode.

I like F-Secure the company -- have done for years -- but have always regarded the product as more corporate- than home-friendly. But most of the other likely commercial offerings are either too bloated or past their best (or both) and some have blotted their copybooks so badly in the past that I won't go there (anything Symantec or McAfee I freely admit massive bias against!) so the available options are decreasing rapidly. So F-Secure claim to be low-impact and if that doesn't work out for me I may have to try Kaspersky, rather against my better judgement despite their popularity and apparent effectiveness (I gather it's hard to remove.)

I should say that Avast tried very, very hard to persuade me not to uninstall but went away nicely when I insisted. ;)

Curt:
[deleted]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version