ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comodo Internet Security -- a cautionary tale?

<< < (5/8) > >>

f0dder:
Btw, for FireFox it's important to install µblock from the GitHub link I posted, it's not updated anywhere near regularly from the official addon repository.-f0dder (April 17, 2015, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
-does this mean, f0dder, that you are recommending the beta versions?-Curt (April 17, 2015, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps not beta versions, but definitely from GitHub rather than the Mozilla repository - I'm on 0.9.3.0 for my FireFox install.

Pardon my French, I think uBlock is youBlock, not microBlock.-Curt (April 17, 2015, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, it seems you are right - it's "uBlock" in both Chrome and FireFox and now. Definitely used to be µblock.

x16wda:
It appears to be uBlock Origin in Chrome now after some sort of kerfuffle (as reported here by ghacks), fwiw.

f0dder:
It appears to be uBlock Origin in Chrome now after some sort of kerfuffle (as reported here by ghacks), fwiw.-x16wda (April 17, 2015, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ugh, Google.

Also, the split between "uBlock Origin" and "uBlock" is a bit ho-humm. As I understand, the original author (gorhill) got overwhelmed by all the requests demands from users - which can indeed be overwhelming when you're doing something as a hobby project. Seems like the new maintainer (chrisaljoudi) might not have handled his responsibilities super well ("made with love and care by Chris." + donate button, not even mentioning gorhill on his site), so... meh.

This drama and uncertainty is disheartening, since the ublock engine has substantial advantages compared to the older adblock.

TaoPhoenix:
I haven't heard of uBlock before. I just installed it.
Heh is there any problem running both uBlock and AdBlock at the same time? -TaoPhoenix (April 16, 2015, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
They both use the same filter lists, so at best the blocker that runs last will do nothing.

µblock simply has a better engine than the adblock core, and uses less memory and CPU - so disable adblock and see if you run into any issues, you can always uninstall (or reenable) later :). ...
-f0dder (April 17, 2015, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, here's a wrinkle: In ublock, I can't get it to block Chessbase's embedded live-blitz frame, but it's blocked on Adblock Latitude. (I am really sensitive to moving things on a page!)

And since I visit that page all the time, that's a showstopper, different from just one time reading an article on a news site with explosive javascript abuse.

f0dder:
Well, here's a wrinkle: In ublock, I can't get it to block Chessbase's embedded live-blitz frame, but it's blocked on Adblock Latitude. (I am really sensitive to moving things on a page!)-TaoPhoenix (April 17, 2015, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
chessbase dot com, the live chessboard in the top right column?

Was pick-and-blockable with uBlock Origin 0.9.4.2 in Chrome... my FireFox has enough panzer that I'd have to disable some of it to even see the board :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version