ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Comodo Internet Security -- a cautionary tale?

<< < (4/8) > >>

oblivion:
Panda's interface is very metro-y. (You may like this. I don't.) And although the install and initial scan went smoothly, it eventually put a "select Panda account" dialog onscreen and wouldn't let me fill it in, or even close it. Flickering pointers and no response to anything. Not a great start.  :down:

The upshot: Panda properly panda'd my netbook.  :o So much for lightweight, cloud-based security... it tried quite hard to stop me unloading it so I could take control back and uninstall -- which might be a point in its favour, I guess, sort of -- but whatever it thought it was doing around the "select Panda account" dialog didn't actually achieve anything except an awful lot of disk thrashing and an all-but-unresponsive system. It has therefore been consigned to the bit bucket.

(In the process of cleaning up after Panda I discovered that a couple of Comodo addons -- a version of Chrome called Chromodo, and a remote support tool called GeekBuddy -- weren't removed when Comodo went. So they've gone too, now. Scrubbed with Revo. ;) )

f0dder's advice notwithstanding, I've managed to get quite paranoid about the "good enoughness" of MSE and so I'm giving Avast a go, based on Ath's suggestion.

Looking good so far.  Not counting chickens, though.

I get that everyone's mileage varies, but a word to the wise (and an underlining of f0dder's warning above) my experience with Panda was bad enough that I actually wondered for a while if the disk thrashing was ransomware and I'd been taken in by some sort of diverted download that was only apparently from their site.

Another failed experiment, while I think of it, and only because they (a) offered me a good price if I ran the trial and liked it, (b) use two AV engines and (c) claim great speed and performance was  :nono2: Ashampoo. The only good thing I can say about it is that the uninstallation process was straightforward and uncomplicated. (Everything in between only served to demonstrate that people occasionally make inflated and unverified assertions about their software.)

TaoPhoenix:
Use a decent ad-blocker (the really nice µblock is available for firefox now as well!)...

-f0dder (April 15, 2015, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't heard of uBlock before. I just installed it.

Heh is there any problem running both uBlock and AdBlock at the same time?

tomos:
^ FWIW I disabled Adblock (Edge) -
it didnt seem like a good idea to have both working.

I'm very happy with uBlock so far :up:

f0dder:
Use a decent ad-blocker (the really nice µblock is available for firefox now as well!)...-f0dder (April 15, 2015, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't heard of uBlock before. I just installed it.
Heh is there any problem running both uBlock and AdBlock at the same time? -TaoPhoenix (April 16, 2015, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
They both use the same filter lists, so at best the blocker that runs last will do nothing.

µblock simply has a better engine than the adblock core, and uses less memory and CPU - so disable adblock and see if you run into any issues, you can always uninstall (or reenable) later :). Btw, for FireFox it's important to install µblock from the GitHub link I posted, it's not updated anywhere near regularly from the official addon repository.

Curt:
Btw, for FireFox it's important to install µblock from the GitHub link I posted, it's not updated anywhere near regularly from the official addon repository.-f0dder (April 17, 2015, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

-does this mean, f0dder, that you are recommending the beta versions?

Pardon my French, I think uBlock is youBlock, not microBlock.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version