topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone Using SlimBrowser?  (Read 2974 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone Using SlimBrowser?
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Anyone using SlimBrowser ?

I tried a few browsers today with ToolWiz TimeFreeze enabled so I could erase the magic slate by just rebooting.  I wonder if anyone has experience with and an opinion on SlimBrowser?  I liked that it seemed pretty snappy and didn't use gobs of memory.  I am leery of the fact it is IE based with multiple tabs sort of like MaxThon.  The other annoyance is it is set up with a bunch of commerce buttons such as eBay etc..

The buttons can easily be removed.  First thing it does when it cones up is ask where you want to import stuff from.  I selected Firefox and it populated the BookmarksBar with my folders without manual intervention.  I just had to delete the bookmark crap already in place.  It seems fairly sleek and snappy.  But I am paranoid about anything that can run ActiveX and BHOs.

So far in my quest for a light fast browser I seem to be stuck with K-Meleon.  It's not horrible.  Just lacks panache.  :)

I keep hoping to find something fast off the dime that still has a few features.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone Using SlimBrowser?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49 PM »

See my adventures with Request Policy.

So separate from active x, for me add-ons are the Thing for me on browsers. How would you deal without some brand of ad blockers?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I had SlimBrowser installed for a while on my netbook because it's rather limited memory-wise (1.5GB) but found SlimBrowser too simplistic when compared to K-Meleon that I still use the latter and uninstalled the former.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:39 AM »

See my adventures with Request Policy.

So separate from active x, for me add-ons are the Thing for me on browsers. How would you deal without some brand of ad blockers?

It has a bunch of plugins installed by default.  The list has check boxes to enable each item.
Of course if I have ToolWiz TimeFreeze enabled that takes the snap out of snappy response.  It may be fine for a desktop with a quad core.  But diverting everything to the shadow cache file bogs it on the Lappy.  It is fine for testing though.