ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Removed Areas > Html and CSS School

HTML editor for beginners

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
Well... just to throw it out there... EditPlus or Notepad++ or UltraEdit.

For multiple files, I love EditPlus. I've been using it for years (nearing 15 now...), and it's wonderful.

However, pure text editors aren't for everyone. And even inside of pure text editors, different people like different things.

* (1) as a beginner, I want to be easily able to find everything.
* (2) using a non-standard keyboard (qwertz) I would like customisable shortcuts (bonus for exportable list of same)
* (3) would love to be able to compare files side by side (e.g. my version and someone elses - but this may be another category of software?)-tomos (April 08, 2015, 04:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) Search in all files with a text editor - done?
2) Not sure.
3) Easily done in a good text editor.

Not sure if I'm hitting the mark here... :(

tomos:
> Not sure if I'm hitting the mark here...

I think so -
and I'm happy to hear all suggestions,
thanks Ren

wraith808:
If you're interested in just regular text editors, that changes things a bit, and I'd also recommend Sublime Text 3.  I use that more than Webstorm these days for working on sites.

Vurbal:
A decent text editor where you create the concept of the page you like to make and only when finished you'll do preview in the browser of your choice...is the better way to do things. Sure, at first you'll fail, perhaps even fail miserably. But you will proficient with HTML more quickly than when you keep staring at a preview pane to to see the result of each and every change. This is a time-consuming habit.

Same rules apply with CSS...especially when working with tricks to get the same look on different web-engines, you can fall in this trap.
-Shades (April 08, 2015, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think some minimum quality/capability in the text editor has to be the baseline requirement, to be met before any additional features are considered. I'm not sure what that minimum would look like in a beginner oriented product.

wraith808:
I think that will vary by the consumer.  A baseline text editor will be good for some, and is what I learned in.  You can add on code completion, templates, etc.  But those are just conveniences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version