ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Removed Areas > Html and CSS School

HTML editor for beginners

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
Code highlighting is helpful - I presume that would be a minimum.

Preview is nice to have but doesnt seem to be essential - I especially like where I press a hotkey to show preview and same key to toggle back to code. I cant remember which editor had that - I think it was the one I liked least otherwise :-(
I'm surprised by the other editors that allow preview on a different tab but dont give you any hotkey to get there...

Code completion is nice :-\ thinking of Shade's point that to do it all manually is a good way to learn... :)
It is nice to think that one can learn everything, but if something is seldom used, I think having a button/menu-entry that does the job is not a bad thing.

Using a button or shortcut for most tags seems reasonable/helpful to me. Learning what things like float:right and clear:both mean and how they're used - that can neither be helped nor hindered by a button.

One thing I didnt mention before is I want to be able to write in German (on the resulting website) i.e. include in particular:
ö ä ü ß
I was told to use UTF-8 encoding and then simply use the characters directly as they are - I see some editors show them as special characters, some not.

Otherwise, as a beginner, I'm not really sure what I need :)

(currently downloading Sublime Text - thanks wraith)

tomos:
Was gravitating towards EditPlus, but have now started using emmet (formerly zen coding) with Sublime Text.

I think it (emmet) can be used with lots of editors.
Even when used very basically, it's a pleasure :-*

In general:
not getting to do as much as I want - but a little most days.

Renegade:
Was gravitating towards EditPlus, but have now started using emmet (formerly zen coding) with Sublime Text.
-tomos (April 16, 2015, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Different strokes for different folks.

The one thing that I would strongly recommend though, is that whatever editor you choose, it needs to have decent regular expression support. You have NO idea just how awesome that can be. I've used EditPlus to work on THOUSANDS of files at once. (Was a long time ago before CMSes were popular.) Other editors can do the same. But regex? It makes you a GOD over your files.

EditPlus supports Zen Coding, but I don't use it.

MilesAhead:
Nobody has mentioned PsPad.  It is free.  Does syntax highlighting.  Comes with Tidy for html.  It does Find in Files.  Does preview in an IE compatible pane.  Plus it has templates for various html and other files.  I found if I allowed Tidy to wrap lines I was able to see what was going on.

Since it isn't a code generator you don't get the clutter like when you use html editor from Sea Monkey(back when I used it they just called it Netscape.)

If you intend to do stuff mainly with html and css it may be a good way to go.  The other thing it has going for it is small size and portability.  Also you can add commands to the menu.

Edit:  I think you need to add a plugin to get the Find in Files feature.  But it's straightforward.  Also it does spell checking for plain text files.

tomos:
Looks good Miles (I'm having a second look this evening) :up:

I also got a recommendation elsewhere of NoteTab, which seems to be fairly beginner friendly, while also catering to (more) advanced users - http://www.notetab.com/html-editor.php

One of the things that confuses me is special characters - some software show quite a range, some show very few, some (e.g. Sublime Text, PsPad,) dont seem to cater to special characters at all (or am I missing something there?). I would probably be having at least some German text in any sites I might make, so would be using UTF-8 encoding:

* AFAIK, in this situation, I just have to (whats-the-word?) use fancy encoding for those characters that are used in HTML, and also for ones that aren't available on my (German-layout) keyboard (e.g. en-dash etc. etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version