ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help Archive Team save Friendfeed's content

(1/5) > >>

app103:
Facebook is shutting Friendfeed down on April 9, 2015.

Archive Team is attempting to grab as much of the public content as possible, before the shutdown removes it from the internet, for good. All content grabbed will eventually be posted to archive.org's Wayback Machine.

These are the same guys that saved most of Geocities, when Yahoo shut it down. (they have also rescued content from other sites)

As an active, dedicated Friendfeed user, I have a personal interest in the success of this project. I have been in contact with them, answering some of their questions about Friendfeed, providing them with other info (api limitations, etc), and doing some community relations work related to this enormous project. (like making this post)

What they need now is at least 1000 volunteers to run a Warrior for this project, right now, or they will have no hope of being able to grab all of the public content in time, before the shut down.

If you qualify to run a Warrior, and you care about what they are trying to do here, please run one for at least this project.

To qualify, Please ensure the following:

* No OpenDNS. No ISP DNS that redirects to a search page. Use non-captive DNS servers.
* No ISP connections that inject advertisements into web pages.
* No proxies. Proxies can return bad data.
* No content-filtering firewalls.
* No censorship. If you believe your country implements censorship, do not run a warrior.
* No Tor. The original IP address is needed for the WARC file.
* No free wifi cafe. Archiving your cafe's wifi service agreement repeatedly is not helpful.
* We prefer connections from many public IP addresses if possible. (For example, if your apartment building uses a single IP address, we don't want your apartment banned.)

The Warrior runs on Windows, OS X and Linux using a virtual machine. You'll need one of the following:

* VirtualBox (recommended)
* VMware workstation/player

Or alternatively, if you are running Linux, you can try running a script for this project, directly: https://github.com/ArchiveTeam/friendfeed-grab

For more info about running a Warrior for this project, and other related project info, please see the following page: http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=FriendFeed#Content_grab

For more general info about running a Warrior for this or any other Archive Team project, please see this page: http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Warrior

PS: DonationCoder has had a Friendfeed page for quite a long time, and this project will rescue it's posts, likes, subscriber list, subscriber comments, etc, to save them for future generations, too.

TaoPhoenix:

I doubt I'm in the market for this, but I support the effort against yet one more "launch and dump" trend by the big corps!

>:(

app103:
I doubt I'm in the market for this, but I support the effort against yet one more "launch and dump" trend by the big corps!

-TaoPhoenix (April 06, 2015, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

At this point, there is no hope that anyone can change Facebook's mind and stop the shut down, but archiving the public content to archive.org can still be accomplished, if enough people are willing to pitch in and help with that enormous task.

TaoPhoenix:

-TaoPhoenix (April 06, 2015, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

At this point, there is no hope that anyone can change Facebook's mind and stop the shut down, but archiving the public content to archive.org can still be accomplished, if enough people are willing to pitch in and help with that enormous task.
-app103 (April 06, 2015, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Right, though do please provide guidance if people on generic home connections like Time Warner can help. Not counting a super weird blip last night, it "seems okay, but very erratic", but more importantly recalling some old legal verbiage from Verizon, they used to have rules against "servers" on home connections and I have no idea what the current status of Time Warner is.

app103:
they used to have rules against "servers" on home connections
-TaoPhoenix (April 06, 2015, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

You would not be running a server. Nobody will be connecting to you. You will be running a grabber that will grab chunks of content off the friendfeed site and then upload it to Archive Team's servers. As long as you have a connection that meets the qualifications spelled out, you can do this on a home internet connection.

I, personally, can not provide any support for running a Warrior, but if anyone runs into any issues, I can ask a member of Archive Team to reply to anyone that needs some help getting it running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version