ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why are car stereos so flimsy?

<< < (3/3)

xtabber:
The market for third party car stereos is fast disappearing.   Recent car models tend to use proprietary designs integrated with the dashboard and other parts of the electronic control system that tie into things like steering wheel controls and hands free phone systems.

Also, starting in 2015, all new cars sold in the US have to incorporate back-up cameras, meaning they will all have video screens in the dashboard. You can expect the audio system controls to migrate to that screen as well.  Apple and Google are furiously working to sign up auto manufacturers, so within a few years, all new cars will offer iOS and/or Android extensions for the dash screen. I'd expect Microsoft to follow suit.

Personally, I like having physical buttons I can use without taking my eyes off the road, but I suspect that voice controls will become a lot more common in the future.

app103:
app103, I appreciate the offer, and that IS a cool gizmo. The current Pioneer unit in my car is radio / CD only though, so I'm afraid I can't take you up on it.
-Jimdoria (April 02, 2015, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if you understood what I was offering, so I figured I'd clarify it, just in case.

I was not offering you one of those cassette adapter thingies...I was offering you a vintage New In Box car stereo (radio/cassette) that you can use one with.  :)

Curt:
I was offering you a vintage New In Box car stereo (radio/cassette) that you can use one with.  :) -app103 (April 05, 2015, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ your generous offer just made me wish for a car, April  :-*

Edvard:
LOL, this is me.  ;D  :(

Why are car stereos so flimsy?

app103:
I was offering you a vintage New In Box car stereo (radio/cassette) that you can use one with.  :) -app103 (April 05, 2015, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ your generous offer just made me wish for a car, April  :-*

-Curt (April 05, 2015, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, not having the car makes it kind of useless, which is why I offered it.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version