ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'create Restore Point' question

<< < (7/13) > >>

bit:
I see from this thread that a lot of DCers are excited over a free upgrade offer to Windows 10.
I have to ask, what's so great about Win 10, and will it bog down my OS when it is barely running smoothly on Win 7?

bit:
^app103, I am now running AVG free, and already seem to be proving out your xlnt advice with fewer and milder crashes. Many tnx! (:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-bit (July 31, 2015, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just passing on some of the best AV advice I ever received for an older PC.  ;)

Here is an additional piece of advice: Stick to the free version and do not buy the paid version.

The paid version will likely come with a bunch of extra features that will defeat the whole purpose of switching to a lighter anti-virus. If you don't have the extra features, you won't be tempted to turn them on.
-app103 (August 01, 2015, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I take it MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials?
Is that a freeware antivirus that is kept updated, or a Windows add-on that is not maintained?
You posted elsewhere MSE is all you use.
Makes me wonder if I should stick with AVG-free, or switch to MSE?

Okay, at AV testing: Is your antivirus app doing its job? (dated July 23, 2015) it says, quote: "The lowest score in the most recent tests is 89.6 percent, earned by Microsoft’s Security Essentials. Because it’s free and comes from Microsoft, AV-Comparatives considers MSE a baseline product — in practical terms, it’s better than nothing. (Microsoft has long been taken to task for its relatively poor showing in AV software.)"

Maybe I better stick with AVG-free for now.

I see it also says, quote: "Not all free programs get unspectacular scores. Panda Free Antivirus, for example, got the top scores in the most recent tests."
"The current winner, Panda, blocked 1,894 out of 1,895 attacks — none of them requiring user input — for a near-perfect score of 99.9 percent."
I found Panda Free Antivirus on filehippo.
The only question would be my original one, if it will make my OS crashy, and I suppose the best way to find out would be to give it a try.

Curt:
I see from this thread that a lot of DCers are excited over a free upgrade offer to Windows 10. I have to ask, what's so great about Win 10, and will it bog down my OS when it is barely running smoothly on Win 7? -bit (August 04, 2015, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows 7 was easy to run, compared to Vista. Windows 8 was easy to run, compared to Win 7. Windows 10 is easy to run, compared to Win 8. Replacing your current system will make life easier for your machine

-if your drive has the space! It's not just "+10GB" as some said. Win 10 will also keep your current files, so in real life (with updates, and stuff) it will need in the area of 50GB free.

I hope you later on will come back, bit, to tell how life with the Panda has been.

tomos:
"The current winner, Panda, blocked 1,894 out of 1,895 attacks — none of them requiring user input — for a near-perfect score of 99.9 percent."
-bit (August 09, 2015, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

the other side of the coin is false positives - I find "none of them requiring user input" in the quote above a little scary tbh. - is it going to e.g. decide anything made via AHK is dangerous and must/will be deleted - without asking you?
FWIW, Panda is not the worst at false positives according to your link - but AVG has very good (low) false positives.

bit:
I see from this thread that a lot of DCers are excited over a free upgrade offer to Windows 10. I have to ask, what's so great about Win 10, and will it bog down my OS when it is barely running smoothly on Win 7? -bit (August 04, 2015, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows 7 was easy to run, compared to Vista. Windows 8 was easy to run, compared to Win 7. Windows 10 is easy to run, compared to Win 8. Replacing your current system will make life easier for your machine

-if your drive has the space! It's not just "+10GB" as some said. Win 10 will also keep your current files, so in real life (with updates, and stuff) it will need in the area of 50GB free.

I hope you later on will come back, bit, to tell how life with the Panda has been.

-Curt (August 09, 2015, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Tnx for the heads-up on Windows 10!  :Thmbsup:
Due to a complicated series of past events, I can only run 20GB of free space anymore.
That is because...8 yrs ago, a friend set me up with a system that was 'fast' and got me a RAID mobo w/o telling me.
I ended up with a mobo that can only 'see' one SATA HD at a time, no matter how many are plugged into it.
That prevented me from doing HD clone backups.
So, b/c of that, to run HD clone backups, I have to have one EIDE HD connected, to do clone backups.
My mobo can 'see' up to two EIDE HDs and one SATA at the same time.
But the EIDE HDs are pathetically slow compared to any of the SATAs.
My largest EIDE HD is only 200GB (the other two EIDEs are 80GB each), so my three SATA HDs have to be limited to 200GB active partitions to remain backup-compatible with the 200GB EIDE.
It all works nicely for HD clone bkups; SATA to EIDE, EIDE to (other) SATA, and so on, but limits my OS to 200GB.
So I have no room to upgrade to Windows 10.
I've also seen reports (and posted them to DC), that Windows 10 is (with apology) glorified spyware, which is not too encouraging.

-bit (August 09, 2015, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

the other side of the coin is false positives - I find "none of them requiring user input" in the quote above a little scary tbh. - is it going to e.g. decide anything made via AHK is dangerous and must/will be deleted - without asking you?
FWIW, Panda is not the worst at false positives according to your link - but AVG has very good (low) false positives.
-tomos (August 09, 2015, 04:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, I'll hold off on any switch from AVG-free until I can get a little better idea of Panda has a bad habit of false positives or not, and thank you for that perspective!  :Thmbsup:

Is there any danger of Windows 10 running an automatic update-install over my Windows 7, just for me running 'automatic updates'?
I'd rather that not happen just now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version