ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'create Restore Point' question

<< < (5/13) > >>

bit:
^Adobe Air needed updating, after which no crashes so far this morning. (:

app103:
I can reinstall MWB once a month for a full system scan.
-bit (April 06, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to uninstall and reinstall it over & over. You can just leave it installed but disable real-time protection, and then only run Malwarebytes when you want to do a full scan. This is how the free version works. Just remember to update the database before scanning.

Also think seriously about installing an anti-virus that is friendlier to your older system, for real-time scanning (MSE? AVG Free?).

bit:
I can reinstall MWB once a month for a full system scan.
-bit (April 06, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to uninstall and reinstall it over & over. You can just leave it installed but disable real-time protection, and then only run Malwarebytes when you want to do a full scan. This is how the free version works. Just remember to update the database before scanning.

Also think seriously about installing an anti-virus that is friendlier to your older system, for real-time scanning (MSE? AVG Free?).
-app103 (July 26, 2015, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you. If I recall correctly, there wasn't any way to disable MWB; it was very persistent about staying active (not trying to contradict you, but that's how I recall it).

I use Norton 360 Premium, which also scans my emails.
I put it in 'Silent Mode' before video watching, but it's still quite a load on the OS, yes.
Not sure what would be a good safe alternative.
I used to use BitDefender, until it began scrambling and losing emails.

app103:
Thank you. If I recall correctly, there wasn't any way to disable MWB; it was very persistent about staying active (not trying to contradict you, but that's how I recall it).
-bit (July 26, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Go to Settings > Advanced Settings

Uncheck the first 3 options. Then reboot and see if that prevents it from starting up on its own. (it's grayed out in mine because I have the free version and can neither enable nor disable it)

While you are in the advanced settings, you might also want to check the last box too, for less stress on your system while you are scanning.

I use Norton 360 Premium, which also scans my emails.
I put it in 'Silent Mode' before video watching, but it's still quite a load on the OS, yes.
Not sure what would be a good safe alternative.
I used to use BitDefender, until it began scrambling and losing emails.
--- End quote ---

Until they dropped support for 9x, I used to use AVG Free on my old snail PC, mainly because it was light enough to use on an old slow system that didn't have much resources to spare. It was highly recommended by a friend, back in 2003, when I had complaints about anti-virus software killing my machine. (Besides frequent BSOD's at startup, McAfee also froze the machine for at least 3 minutes every time an icon for any type of server software or rar file appeared anywhere on my screen, which caused major problems at startup when the icons on my taskbar were loading)

I don't know if it is still just as light, but back then it sure was great. I never even noticed it was running. (and I am talking about running their v7.5 in 2006, on a 233MHz Pentium I, 64mb RAM PC manufactured in 1997.) That one change eliminated 99% of the remaining BSOD's and screen freezes that PC had, and gave it a new life.

I still have a small form factor Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz with 1G RAM running XP, for which I have always used MSE. That's another antivirus light enough that I have never noticed it running, unless it is doing its weekly scheduled full system scan. That does cause a slight slowdown on that machine, but nothing that would be a show stopper. Other than that short span of time each week, I have never had to even think about disabling it while watching videos, which has always been one of the primary uses for that machine (music, movies, plus spare and/or emergency PC).

So, you might want to give either of those a try on your machine to see if it works out better for you than Norton.

bit:
^I am seriously considering AVG free, and thank you very much for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version