ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'create Restore Point' question

<< < (2/13) > >>

Ath:
What's the brand & model of that mobo?

bit:
What's the brand & model of that mobo?
-Ath (April 05, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, it's an Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo, running Win 7 Pro 32-bit on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core 4400+.

Shades:
Sounds like an old motherboard to me. I used to have A8N-Pro ones, but these boards use the Nvidia chip-set and I hate to break it to you, these don't last long. I am convinced that the reason why your system is behaving oddly when connecting multiple HD's using different technologies gives you problems is, plain and simple, the quirks of a dying Nvidia chip-set.

Of all the boards I run, none of them have Nvidia chip-sets anymore. My experiences at that time may not be relevant anymore for new boards that have Nvidia chip-sets, but I was so appalled by the problems I encountered, you won't see me buy any mobo with their chip-sets ever again. At least 5 years ago I phased out Nvidia. I still have 3 Asus A8V (10+ years old and based on VIA chip-set) in use 24/7 and those are still going strong.

I do like Nvidia video cards though.

bit:
^Tnx, but the Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo has always had this problem (that it can only see one SATA HD at a time no matter how many are pugged into it) b/c it is a RAID mobo. :)
The person who built it chose it w/o asking me first, and by the time it was shipped to me I was stuck with it.
It does have EIDE HD Primary & Secondary terminal sockets though, so the idea is to get a SATA to EIDE adapter as a work-around, and make my mobo see a Secondary SATA as a Primary or Secondary EIDE.
I do very much appreciate the head's-up on Asus. :)

bit:
Sounds like an old motherboard to me. I used to have A8N-Pro ones, but these boards use the Nvidia chip-set and I hate to break it to you, these don't last long. I am convinced that the reason why your system is behaving oddly when connecting multiple HD's using different technologies gives you problems is, plain and simple, the quirks of a dying Nvidia chip-set.

Of all the boards I run, none of them have Nvidia chip-sets anymore. My experiences at that time may not be relevant anymore for new boards that have Nvidia chip-sets, but I was so appalled by the problems I encountered, you won't see me buy any mobo with their chip-sets ever again. At least 5 years ago I phased out Nvidia. I still have 3 Asus A8V (10+ years old and based on VIA chip-set) in use 24/7 and those are still going strong.

I do like Nvidia video cards though.
-Shades (April 05, 2015, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
The BSODs seem to happen in waves, like; a week or two of almost none, then bunches of them.
At a wild guess, this may be in connection with browser and-or flash player updates.

Lately, they seem to happen mainly while watching on-line vids, like on youtube.
No youtube, few or no BSODs.
Had a BSOD 1/2 hour ago while watching youtube, but any browser vid source seems to do it, such as LiveLeak.

My vid card is an NVidia GeForce GTS 450.

My machine used to open or start things promptly enough, before I installed Malwarebytes.
After MWB, it slowed the opening or starting time of everything way down.
Not faulting MWB, which has stopped quite a few PUPs, just commenting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version