ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mozilla to replace add-ons with Chrome compatible extensions

<< < (4/4)

TaoPhoenix:
And yes, with the spinoffs of FF, the Add-On API's and so on have been there forever. Will developers have to now produce *two* versions of each add-ons, with different backbones? Some of the small hobbyist add-on devs simply will collapse and retire their add-on!
-TaoPhoenix (September 05, 2015, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why would they have to create two versions?  This seems like it would just need one.

For some time we’ve heard from add-on developers that our APIs could be better documented and easier to use. In addition, we’ve noticed that many Firefox add-on developers also maintain a Chrome, Safari, or Opera extension with similar functionality. We would like add-on development to be more like Web development: the same code should run in multiple browsers according to behavior set by standards, with comprehensive documentation available from multiple vendors.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't say what you're inferring.
-wraith808 (September 05, 2015, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, this is why I'm thrashing a little. So I'm guessing "Firefox Main Branch" will use the new API. What about Pale Moon? And what about Comodo IceDragon that's forked off FF 38.x?

wraith808:
And yes, with the spinoffs of FF, the Add-On API's and so on have been there forever. Will developers have to now produce *two* versions of each add-ons, with different backbones? Some of the small hobbyist add-on devs simply will collapse and retire their add-on!
-TaoPhoenix (September 05, 2015, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why would they have to create two versions?  This seems like it would just need one.

For some time we’ve heard from add-on developers that our APIs could be better documented and easier to use. In addition, we’ve noticed that many Firefox add-on developers also maintain a Chrome, Safari, or Opera extension with similar functionality. We would like add-on development to be more like Web development: the same code should run in multiple browsers according to behavior set by standards, with comprehensive documentation available from multiple vendors.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't say what you're inferring.
-wraith808 (September 05, 2015, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, this is why I'm thrashing a little. So I'm guessing "Firefox Main Branch" will use the new API. What about Pale Moon? And what about Comodo IceDragon that's forked off FF 38.x?

-TaoPhoenix (September 05, 2015, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

They'd choose whether to integrate it, I'd suppose.  But that would be their choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version