ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

'create Restore Point' question

(1/13) > >>

bit:
In Windows 7 Pro, b/c my machine is older, and I occasionally get a BSOD.
So long as I have at least one Restore Point created, my pc reboots and recovers just fine.
But each time it does this, it uses up and cancels out the RP.
So my SOP is to let it reboot to Desktop, then run a registry scan, then create a new RP for the next BSOD.
Better yet, to have several RPs.
It looks to me as if, every 1st of the month, the OS dumps all old RPs.
So it keeps me on my toes making sure I have at least one valid RP.
Is there a way to set up the OS to automatically create a new RP every so often, once a day or whatever?
Or what other advice does anyone have (besides getting a newer machine)?

TaoPhoenix:
In Windows 7 Pro, b/c my machine is older, and I occasionally get a BSOD.
So long as I have at least one Restore Point created, my pc reboots and recovers just fine.
But each time it does this, it uses up and cancels out the RP.
So my SOP is to let it reboot to Desktop, then run a registry scan, then create a new RP for the next BSOD.
Better yet, to have several RPs.
It looks to me as if, every 1st of the month, the OS dumps all old RPs.
So it keeps me on my toes making sure I have at least one valid RP.
Is there a way to set up the OS to automatically create a new RP every so often, once a day or whatever?
Or what other advice does anyone have (besides getting a newer machine)?
-bit (April 04, 2015, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's gotta be a way because I've seen on various software that it is "creating a restore point".

Shades:
Read this thread (2nd post) on the Microsoft Community forums. It states that when you enable the Windows services associated with the creation of restore points, your PC should make one RP once a week or when Windows detects that a (big) change occurs on your computer. Automagically...

Curt:
important information was missing on those linked, otherwise really useful, pages:

bit; your Windows is deleting restore points exactly as you were fearing. The good news is that time is not the determining factor, but space is. So it's not per week or so; if your drive has the space, you can easily make Windows keep more restore points. Remember that you can use an external drive for restore points (as well as for backups), so you don't have to get a new machine just yet.

Start > right-click "Computer" > Properties > System Protection > Configure... > Disk Space Usage

bit:
 :Thmbsup: Thank you everyone, it was set to manual but I've reset it to automatic.
The person who originally set up my computer got me a RAID mobo, and there seems to be no way to make it see two SATA HDs as different HDs at the same time (i.e. Primary & Secondary), so I have to  use a slow old EIDE HD as Secondary, and normally reserve it for a disconnected HD clone of the Primary HD.
I have several other fast large SATA HDs, and it's too bad I can't seem to find a way to get the mobo to see more than one SATA HD separately at a time.

(edit): Come to think of it, maybe I could get a SATA to EIDE adapter and make my mobo see a Secondary SATA as EIDE.
There's quite a line-up of different ones on Amazon, Ebay, and elsewhere; is there any special model anyone cares to recommend in the $6 to $20 range?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version