ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ludum Dare 32: April 17th-20th, 2015

<< < (5/7) > >>

Deozaan:
Here's one called Troll Smakkin', by a collaboration called Shimmergloom:

This was our first ever ludum dare, it was lots of fun. Our take on an unconventional weapon is a shovel-axe that you can use to chuck blocks behind you or damage your enemies.

Any block that is chucked will carry the object on top of it too! Chucking cacti will cause them to explode and spawn new cacti. The trolls chase you during the night but at dawn they turn to stone. Petrified trolls drop hearts when they die.

See how many days you can survive!-http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=51106
--- End quote ---

It's a good looking game. I found the controls awkward, and it cramped up my hand/wrist while I was trying to play.

Deozaan:
I just finished a writeup of my Ludum Dare 32 experience:

Ludum Dare 32 - A Postpartum
Ludum Dare 31 was not a pleasant experience for me. When it ended, I was so glad to be done with it that I didn’t even do any of the post-competition things, such as play and rate other games. I had lost all motivation and enthusiasm for the game jam. I didn’t bother to check for feedback on my own game (which mostly went unnoticed due to the way the site organizes the entries from people like me who don’t participate in post-competition activities). As I write this now, I still haven’t even written about my LD31 experience on this blog (though I’ll probably do that in the near future and retroactively date the post to something closer to when LD31 took place).

Considering how unmotivated I was to do any game programming related things after LD31, I wasn’t sure I even wanted to participate in LD32. I was concerned that it would ruin my motivation again and it would just stress me out too much. But as the starting date for LD32 came closer and closer, I found my enthusiasm increasing. Though I hadn’t fully committed to the idea of participating in LD32, I decided to make my final decision after finding out how I felt about the theme.-http://blog.deozaan.com/2015/04/24/ludum-dare-32-a-postpartum/
--- End quote ---

You can read the rest here:

http://blog.deozaan.com/2015/04/24/ludum-dare-32-a-postpartum/

mouser:
I have two comments after reading your postpartum writeup:

1. It's great fun to read these things and to experience the process vicariously.
2. Writing such things is such a good habit to get into for those serious about becoming good coders.
3. Participating in these kinds of projects that force you to conceive and then complete something "finished" with a real deadline is again such a great skill to get into the habit of.

In summary: great work, keep it up.

Deozaan:
I have two comments-mouser (April 28, 2015, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
1. It's great fun to read these things and to experience the process vicariously.
2. Writing such things is such a good habit to get into for those serious about becoming good coders.
3. Participating in these kinds of projects that force you to conceive and then complete something "finished" with a real deadline is again such a great skill to get into the habit of.-mouser (April 28, 2015, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

:P

Thanks mouser! I really appreciate your encouragement.

tomos:
You can read the rest here:

http://blog.deozaan.com/2015/04/24/ludum-dare-32-a-postpartum/
-Deozaan (April 28, 2015, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
great job -
it's pretty inspiring.

I don’t know why, but somehow the very act of giving up altogether on LD32 filled me with inspiration. I had moved on physically, but my mind couldn’t think of anything else. I was excited about this new idea! I could hardly wait to finish showering so I could get back to my computer and see if it worked as well in practice as it did in my mind.
--- End quote ---
Interesting how often you hear of things working out -
or, as in this case, you getting the good idea, after one has given up.

And I loved the video with music -
well done all round!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version