ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

I have put a "share with facebook" type thing on the pages (temporarily?)..

<< < (5/9) > >>

Ath:
They are now where I'd expect 'm: at the bottom of the page, where I can easily ignore them like on many other sites :-[
Much better.

TaoPhoenix:

Also, this site is not inhabited by morons who don't know how to copy/paste an URL, so I don't really see what value they add.
-f0dder (March 29, 2015, 04:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

This bit starts to get trickier the more we look at it!

Giampy:
I find bothersome that blue bar that follows us when we scroll the page-Giampy (March 28, 2015, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me vent (semi OT).

Blue bar apart, I care to say I deeply appreciate the look of Donationcoder as it's perfectly readable.

Websites are bleaching. Use of pale characters on a white background is the main plague of internet. Many websites are almost illegible thanks to idiots who choose that "up-to-date" combination and other damned "modern" devilments.

Therefore I congratulate Mouser for keeping Donationcoder so well readable.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Looks like Ghostery took care of them, so they do not bother me :P.-Jibz (March 29, 2015, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ghostery took care of them for me too, but anything that is blocked by Ghostery is a thing i do not want on DoCo.
-f0dder (March 29, 2015, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  I whitelist DC currently.  And my ghostery count has always been at 1, so it's not been a problem.  Now it's at 4(!).  If it's hosted at DC, it's not really a concern... but just like with GHacks (and thankfully he put another way to support the site other than not blocking ads), if it's hosted elsewhere I'll have to start, which would be a sad day. :(

What is the purpose of sharing on other social media is my thought?  Is there a viable reason?  Or is it just because everyone is doing it?  If there's not a reason for it- and it's just to follow trends, then why do it?

And, just a suggestion- there's a lot of hyperbolic pejorative above- can we tone it down?  Because the reason for a discussion is to bring all opinions together and discuss, and that's the way it's normally done around here, and I appreciate that.

KynloStephen66515:

"I'm open to adding some very subtle extra button somewhere that pops up a menu"

You mean like the one that used to be on DC...the one that nobody used?  Oh yeah...they didn't use it because it was VERY SUBTLE and NOBODY KNEW IT WAS THERE!  :huh:

Mouser, you know me, and you know I will be straight up honest with you...You need to accept change...DC is 10 years old...but stop acting like everything is still as it were back then...it is 2015...accept change or be left behind in the dust...DC needs to incorporate all that is good, and accept that having an in-your-face popup, that could potentially mean DC gets a HUGE increase in traffic (Or at least a huge amount of potential towards free advertising).
-Stephen66515 (March 28, 2015, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some spit-balling here: if you must have these buttons, I would update the profile pages here at DC and have check boxes (default enabled/disabled/cookie) close to the 'Post' button that way it is easy to share your own posts on a forum thread and if you have nothing to add to the thread you could add buttons to the first post. Or make a DC share button that shares automatically with the 'socials', according to the configuration on your own profile page. That way you could get rid of the bar, but not give up on the sharing functionality...for those that care at least.
-Shades (March 28, 2015, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean like what was there for the ads?  Where a user can choose if they want to see them?  If so, I would be happy with that!

If you really want to keep social-media-sharing buttons, please make it 100% DoCo-hosted. The traditional "use script from external source" is a big, big, BIG no-go, as their main purpose is not to make sharing easy, but being tracking beacons.

Also, this site is not inhabited by morons who don't know how to copy/paste an URL, so I don't really see what value they add.
-f0dder (March 29, 2015, 04:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is one fact I overlooked when bugging mouser  :-[ Completely forgot about the information they send back to their servers to track things.

To be honest, I do really like the bottom bar ones (I did like the popup one but it really is "to each their own" - I seem to be the minority here haha

Looks like Ghostery took care of them, so they do not bother me :P.-Jibz (March 29, 2015, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ghostery took care of them for me too, but anything that is blocked by Ghostery is a thing i do not want on DoCo.
-f0dder (March 29, 2015, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  I whitelist DC currently.  And my ghostery count has always been at 1, so it's not been a problem.  Now it's at 4(!).  If it's hosted at DC, it's not really a concern... but just like with GHacks (and thankfully he put another way to support the site other than not blocking ads), if it's hosted elsewhere I'll have to start, which would be a sad day. :(

What is the purpose of sharing on other social media is my thought?  Is there a viable reason?  Or is it just because everyone is doing it?  If there's not a reason for it- and it's just to follow trends, then why do it?

And, just a suggestion- there's a lot of hyperbolic pejorative above- can we tone it down?  Because the reason for a discussion is to bring all opinions together and discuss, and that's the way it's normally done around here, and I appreciate that.
-wraith808 (March 29, 2015, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

For me (at least), Social Sharing gives a way to really get word out quickly about a subject...I have used it many many times, and a lot of websites find it actually increases their notoriety. 

I know my post up top may seem harsh, but it was worded that way to spark conversation, nothing more, nothing less.  Mouser knows I am just being honest :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version