ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TV shows thread

<< < (5/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
It's too dark. It's hard to see everything when 90% of shots are at night with no lights
-Renegade (April 18, 2015, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate it when that happens.  TV becomes a radio show.  All sound effects and dialog.  They should have started a tradition a long time ago of having a prompt dialog near the bottom of the screen like "the warehouse is dark but we added light so you can watch what happens" or whatever.  I don't know how many X-Files episodes went audio only on me.  :(

Renegade:
Oh, ep 4 of Daredevil - the "date night" one - great late show to ending. :)

wraith808:
Oh, ep 4 of Daredevil - the "date night" one - great late show to ending. :)

-Renegade (April 18, 2015, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

This show has had some jaw dropping moments... but the end of that one...

Renegade:
Any "The Prisoner" fans here?

I tripped across a commentary on the show that you might find interesting:

http://jaysanalysis.com/2015/07/05/numbered-man-an-analysis-of-the-prisoner-1967/

Numbered Man – An Analysis of The Prisoner (1967)

Oppositional and defiant. No. 6 “fights the system.”

1960s spy fiction is some of my favorite fiction.  Developing its own unique aesthetic, from Bond to The Saint to Harry Palmer, the vivid, flamboyant style of both the spies and their cinema incarnations created an iconic pop phenomena that survives still (as 007 is still going strong).  Everyone knows 007, but few are aware of the more philosophical, science fiction based British cult show, The Prisoner starring Patrick McGoohan.  McGoohan not only starred in the show, but is also the series’ co-creator, following his successful Danger Man series, and reportedly passed over the role of Bond in Dr. No and The Saint due to moral qualms with 007’s ethics (McGoohan was a professing Roman Catholic).  Regardless, The Prisoner remains one of the most fascinating presentations of the dark side of international espionage, combining the esoteric, philosophical, geopolitical and the fantastical, as well as functioning as a critique of the most foundational assumptions of modern, “progressive” man.  For this, it most certainly warrants an analysis.
--- End quote ---

More at the link.

MilesAhead:
Any "The Prisoner" fans here?

-Renegade (July 08, 2015, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I watched various episodes of Prisoner over the years without seeing the final episode.  Until they put the series on in order on SyFy Channel I think it was.  I taped them.  Finally I got to see the last episode and discovered the identity of #1!!

I would watch a few episodes and give up.  I don't do well following a series week to week.  I seem to get into them much better when they go into syndication and I can watch multiple episodes a week in order.  That's how I got into X-Files.  I totally ignored it during the first run.

Anyway, once I saw the last episode it all made sense.

Also I bought several seasons of Danger Man, or Secret Agent as we called it in the USA.  Patrick McGoohan was quite true to life as the guy who got things done by any means necessary.  Especially compared to the American shoot em up spy shows such as Man From UNCLE et al.  I appreciated Danger Man when I watched them again as an adult.

But speaking of Prisoner, it seemed like every time I would make a move to ask the boss for a raise, that bouncing ball thing would smother my efforts.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version