ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

pretty-software.com does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free ;D

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
cyberdoc may have just had some frustration getting Find and Run Robot to accept the free license key -- i know sometimes there can be some frustration with the captcha signing up to the forum, or with just the idea of having to download a free license key -- as i've said many times before my frustration threshold is very low and when trying to install some software i can understand getting mad at having to do any extra step.

cyberdoc, if you are still around, and got frustrated with the procedure and want to try FARR again, feel free to contact me for any assistance in getting it working or getting the license key put in -- sometimes the approach we use here leaves something to be desired, but all we are trying to do is get people to at least consider for a moment donating.  but regardless of that, i'm happy to assist in getting it working well for you, so let me/us know how we can assist.

or if you are just trying to advertise another tool.. well as Jibz says, you can find a list of alternative programs at the bottom of the Find and Run help file (you'll also see there that FARR has been in fairly constant development since 2002 -- many similar programs have come and gone since then!).

KynloStephen66515:
pretty-software.com does the same as Find and Run Robot and it is really free ;D
-cyberdoc999 (March 25, 2015, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I shall ignore the obvious spammy factors of a first time poster, linking to a competitors products (Not sure if this guy is the dev, or just a fan...)

However,  I wasn't aware that FARR, or in fact, ANYTHING from DC wasn't free...yes you need a license key in order to stop it moaning at you in like 6 months time...but...it is still free....Registering on the forum to get a key, is free...entering the key, is free...donating is 100% optional...so...it's free...and seeing as pretty-software also ask for donations, I don't see how anything other than the license key is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tomos:
completely off-topic :-[

hah,
I like that one Stephen:
(ツ)

MilesAhead:
This thread got me to try it out of curiosity.  Turns out it was one of a bunch a launchers I tried a few months ago and removed.  I have a ton of tiny exes under a single folder.  Adding the folder with "search subfolders" enabled did not bring them up in spiffy fashion, which would be the only reason for me to use the utility.

Been there done that.  :)

Renegade:
-cyberdoc999 (March 25, 2015, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I shall ignore the obvious spammy factors of a first time poster, linking to a competitors products (Not sure if this guy is the dev, or just a fan...)

However,  I wasn't aware that FARR, or in fact, ANYTHING from DC wasn't free...yes you need a license key in order to stop it moaning at you in like 6 months time...but...it is still free....Registering on the forum to get a key, is free...entering the key, is free...donating is 100% optional...so...it's free...and seeing as pretty-software also ask for donations, I don't see how anything other than the license key is different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Stephen66515 (March 25, 2015, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

First, I do get your point.

as i've said many times before my frustration threshold is very low and when trying to install some software i can understand getting mad at having to do any extra step.
-mouser (March 25, 2015, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

And you're far from the only one! :)

But consider this...

DC started in 2005. That's 10 years ago. Or, a epoch ago in Internet age.

Back in 2005 we (as software authors) were worried about spyware and adware and shady stuff in our software. We looked for ethical ways to create ties or links or bonds to customers, and opt-in licenses were one way, e.g. Expresso used the same model.

Today giving away your email address has far more far reaching consequences.

And today a very large number of software authors are doing things that are at best unethical.

If anyone remembers OpenCandy, I wrote a deconstruction of what was happening under the hood in OpenCandy. I turned up nothing. There are good guys out there, but there are also a lot of bad guys.

Today, asking for an email address is a different thing.

In any event, I can understand that perception. It's a shame that we don't really have a good reputation system that isn't gamed.

So, the question is, is the OP's post an indication of a changing environment, or is it just a knee-jerk reaction from a 1-time poster? Dunno. The title drew me in, and the thread got me thinking a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version