ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Is there any way of 'saving' file associations?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
I see one potential problem so far. If the app itself associates itself with the registry the DISM app doesn't add the location of the application to the "ProgID".  When I export and import again on a fresh install one would reasonably assume it would know to open INI with Notepad++ but wouldn't know where N++ is.
-stisev (March 25, 2015, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could try ERUNT

But I would make a registry save of your new install before copying a saved ERUNT reg save over it.
It comes with a readme with lots of info.  There may be a way to limit the save to HKCR or a way to save HKCR by itself.  I haven't read up on file associations in a long time.  Back when I wrote an Explorer Shell Extension they didn't have both global and user association sets.  They changed it since in the old days often uninstalling a program left a "hole" in the file type associations.

Edit: also see this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/212109-how-backup-windows-7-default-customized-file-associations.html

Edit2: I see what you mean about the  value just being the exe filename with no path.

Vurbal:
I would think the simplest and most effective way to do this would be using the command line file association tools - ftype and assoc.

There's a tutorial here for backing them up and restoring them from the command line. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems sound at a glance.

4wd:
I see one potential problem so far. If the app itself associates itself with the registry the DISM app doesn't add the location of the application to the "ProgID".  When I export and import again on a fresh install one would reasonably assume it would know to open INI with Notepad++ but wouldn't know where N++ is.
-stisev (March 25, 2015, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're not going to reinstall the programs associated with the relevant filetypes why are you saving the filetypes?

dcsev:
4wd,
I don't reinstall 95% of my apps. They are all portable.  Some examples are Zoomplayer, Xnview, Notepad++.  That is my predicament. I would like to be able to easily get my file associations back on my portable apps.

Shades:
A search on the DC forum resulted in this N.A.N.Y entry. And it is my guess that it will help you out, especially with your preference of using portable software. Of course, this tool is portable as well.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version