ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Is there any way of 'saving' file associations?

(1/3) > >>

dcsev:
Hi all,
This problem has been following me for a long time. Is there any way to 'save' file associations in Windows 8.1 to a .reg file?  For example, .txt is to notepad. I have many file associations I would like to save so I don't have to keep re-associating after Windows reinstall.  I would just run all of the reg files on reinstall and not have to do them manually by hand. I have tried all of the programs listed in portable freeware, donation coder, and google search for hours and have yet to find something that does this.

I do use 'portable file associations' in XYplorer, but I really want to be able to have the file association in Windows option.

Is this possible?

4wd:
Use DISM.exe to export/import file associations - see here.

dcsev:
Wow, are you kidding me.

It can't be that easy. All this time I have been looking to external solutions.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to know if it truly worked until I reinstall, but THANK YOU for the info!!

4wd:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to know if it truly worked until I reinstall, but THANK YOU for the info!!-stisev (March 25, 2015, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Edit the XML file to change the default program for a filetype, (make a backup first), for example:

--- Code: Text ---<Association Identifier=".nfo" ProgId="Applications\notepad.exe" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
Will redirect *.nfo files to be opened in Notepad rather than SystemInfo.

Then import using DISM, log out then in and see what happens when you open a .nfo file.

If an extension doesn't appear in the XML file it probably means that it is set to the default as when Windows was installed, (eg. .txt doesn't appear in my exported file because it still points to Notepad, even though Notepad itself has been replaced by Notepad2).

dcsev:
I see one potential problem so far. If the app itself associates itself with the registry the DISM app doesn't add the location of the application to the "ProgID".  When I export and import again on a fresh install one would reasonably assume it would know to open INI with Notepad++ but wouldn't know where N++ is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version