ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WinPatrol going subscription

<< < (3/4) > >>

Curt:
I rather see something start as (a wow that's expensive) shareware from the start   than free then not free  after X years-rgdot (March 23, 2015, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. It is in general a lot more disappointing when freeware becomes shareware, than the other way around... Hehe. Well, to be fair, I must say, it can be 'suspicious' when a good shareware program becomes free of charge.

Regarding WinPatrol: I bought a couple of the very cheap license keys because I fully expected their prices to go up, or the company to die (by 'now'!).

I won't comment anymore,-rgdot (March 23, 2015, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ please, do comment!

Joe Hone:
We may have our own preferences for freeware, shareware, etc. but that doesn’t help the developer pay the bills. I think we get spoiled by specific freeware that outperforms shareware (visit the world of audio plugins, there are some freeware programs that are unsurpassed for that function) but I have no problem paying for a program does what it is intended to do and does it well. WinPatrol was becoming a bit dated in my opinion and there is a concerted push right now to make it relevant again. So far I like what I see. I’d pay a renewing annual license for the program but since I have a lifetime family license (10 PCs) my entire family is taken care of.

TaoPhoenix:

I think what we're all reacting to is that it's not a planned strategy from day 1, but it gives off the vibe of being X, then much later the developer (notice with way too little timeline warning) say "oh, by the way, I'm broke, next month I'll do X".

That's what feels like the rip off. If people want to do cool projects, then let them stay cool projects. If you think you can't hold on forever, then plan that in the campaign.

But unfortunately "bait and switch" however naively implemented is abusive.

wraith808:
I think what we're all reacting to is that it's not a planned strategy from day 1, but it gives off the vibe of being X, then much later the developer (notice with way too little timeline warning) say "oh, by the way, I'm broke, next month I'll do X".

That's what feels like the rip off. If people want to do cool projects, then let them stay cool projects. If you think you can't hold on forever, then plan that in the campaign.

But unfortunately "bait and switch" however naively implemented is abusive.

-TaoPhoenix (March 23, 2015, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, basically, BillP wasn't going to be around forever; it's a fact of life.  So in order to make sure that his customers that have come to rely on the program where taken care of, he made a deal to ensure the longevity.  All of his current customers will be taken care of in the deal.  Anyone that wants to get on board has had ample time to do so.  It's not perfect... but what is?  I just appreciate the effort from BillP and the new guy.

iphigenie:
I have a personal PLUS and a family PLUS license, bought over the year to support the great product more than because I needed the features

These new owners are doing it as fairly as possible, really:
As a point of clarification. Any CURRENT license holder for WinPatrol PLUS , WinPrivacy PLUS or any of the Family or Combo Packs already owns a subscription free license that never expires and therefore does not need to purchase another. Even if your license is over 10 years old, you are covered.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version