ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WinPatrol going subscription

<< < (2/4) > >>

rgdot:
Bill P recently sold WinPatrol.  There was a big deal made on the transition about picking someone who would continue the same traditions yadda yadda.  I'm not really bashing the new developer trying to make a few $$.  It's just that everything seems to be trending to having a meter attached.  People with longer names will change them to short ones because when they sign something online they will be charged per keystroke.  Pay toilets won't have a coin box on the door but on the toilet paper dispenser.  Pull on the roll and watch your bankroll dwindle.

It's like the bean counters are going to nickel and dime us all to death.  Every gimmick and angle will be exploited.

-MilesAhead (March 23, 2015, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

As far as I am concerned that's still the equivalent of what I said, I believe it's been only a few months since the sale

wraith808:
Bill P recently sold WinPatrol.  There was a big deal made on the transition about picking someone who would continue the same traditions yadda yadda.  I'm not really bashing the new developer trying to make a few $$.  It's just that everything seems to be trending to having a meter attached.  People with longer names will change them to short ones because when they sign something online they will be charged per keystroke.  Pay toilets won't have a coin box on the door but on the toilet paper dispenser.  Pull on the roll and watch your bankroll dwindle.

It's like the bean counters are going to nickel and dime us all to death.  Every gimmick and angle will be exploited.

-MilesAhead (March 23, 2015, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

As far as I am concerned that's still the equivalent of what I said, I believe it's been only a few months since the sale
-rgdot (March 23, 2015, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Almost a year, officially.  A bit more than that unofficially.

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2014/06/winpatrol-generation-ii.html?_sm_au_=i5VHj3cqQTT5RJVs

rgdot:
Thanks.

I won't comment anymore, because it might seem I have a beef, which is not even close to reality :)

MilesAhead:
Doesn't seem unfair at all to me.
-wraith808 (March 23, 2015, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Depending on the fee, not in and of itself. It just seems indicative of the direction.  Everything going to tighter control.  Browser extensions signed, getting away from Pay Once and use it Until a major version change, for software.  Now if you are flush one month and broke the next everything you click on your PC might come up "Not Implemented."

The movie Repo Men might not be many years away from reality.  I must be getting old and nostalgic for the good ole' days.  :)

wraith808:
Doesn't seem unfair at all to me.
-wraith808 (March 23, 2015, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Depending on the fee, not in and of itself. It just seems indicative of the direction.  Everything going to tighter control.  Browser extensions signed, getting away from Pay Once and use it Until a major version change, for software.  Now if you are flush one month and broke the next everything you click on your PC might come up "Not Implemented."

The movie Repo Men might not be many years away from reality.  I must be getting old and nostalgic for the good ole' days.  :)
-MilesAhead (March 23, 2015, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually like the pay on a regular schedule better than the pay until next version change- as long as the updates keep coming.  But before it was a pay once and never pay again.  I don't think that *anyone* can make a profit on that model.  BillP just wasn't concerned about it... he was just doing it because he wanted to.  But if you've invested money into buying the software, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to get that money back, personally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version