ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how can I do this in excel?

<< < (3/11) > >>

kalos:
no, the files are not stored locally! they are only in the web server!

kalos:
from http://www.freevoteusa.com/Zexcel1/
the files are moved to http://www.freevoteusa.com/Zexcel2/
yes, the index xls is moved like the files too

how the index xls will update itself with the new hyperlinks?

TaoPhoenix:
no, the files are not stored locally! they are only in the web server!
-kalos (March 23, 2015, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, look carefully at my links.

I meant something like a "soft link" or a "relative link".

"http://www.freevoteusa.com/Zexcel1/a.txt" is what I call a "hard link". That's the one that breaks when you move a file.

But look at the source:
<A Href="c.txt"> c.txt </A>
(That /URL thing is not in the code - the board keeps adding that)
So wherever you move the files, you don't need to update the index because it "finds" the files wherever they are in the same folder! That's what I thought you were looking for.

The only time you'd need to update the index is when new actual files are added.

And I agree these are webfiles. My example is my hobby web server. They are not on my c drive.

Does that explain things more?

kalos:
man that looks amazing! thanks!

so I only have to hyperlink the files with <A Href="c.txt"> ?

and I am done?

TaoPhoenix:
man that looks amazing! thanks!

so I only have to hyperlink the files with <A Href="c.txt"> ?

and I am done?
-kalos (March 23, 2015, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even better!

(I make up a lot of my own terms.)

The excel file is "modular" - the different cells contain fragment portions of a full link. So notice that in a link the part of
<A Href="

never changes
So that fragment just lives in its own column

Then you take a program of the "directory reader" type to generate a complete list of all files in a folder. There's basically no limit. So that program produces:

a.txt
b.txt
c.txt
DirRead PreProcessIndex1.txt

That's the only data that changes. So you just paste that into the excel shell.

Then the rest of it closes the link and puts the <BR> line break in there.

Then it just "concatenate smashes" the fragments together into a right side column that's what you copy out.

Then you just copy the right side of the generator into a text file that becomes valid html.

Theoretically you could even access the links from inside the excel file but it's not so bad to have that minor protection of "fat thumb proofing" so you can email that index file or something and your master excel doesn't get damaged.

Hooray for low level hacks!
 :Thmbsup:

Plus if accounting or management or someone on those sideways levels get involved, the way the process is designed, you can do basic version control so you can report to your manager that "hey, we had 147 files last March but even though we have 153 now, one of them got deleted - check if it has a valid deletion code on a report or something".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version