ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone getting a Pebble Time?

(1/2) > >>

Mark0:
I was pretty interested in the Pebble for some time, but never quite enough to actually buy one.
When they announced the KickStarter campaign for the new Time, I finally decided and backed it right away.

KickStarter - Pebble Time - Awesome Smartwatch, No Compromises

I like the fact that it don't try to do everything, but just few fundamentals things, and doing them right.
Plus the SDK is really well made, and can be used entirely from a browser.

f0dder:
So, they're kinda cute, but...

The cheapest available on kickstarter now is $179, and the retail price for one is going to be $199? I know it's pretty fancy and all, but that's a lot of cash for a watch - you can get a OnePlus smartphone, which is by no means tardy, for $299.

Innuendo:
The cheapest available on kickstarter now is $179, and the retail price for one is going to be $199? I know it's pretty fancy and all, but that's a lot of cash for a watch - you can get a OnePlus smartphone, which is by no means tardy, for $299.
-f0dder (March 19, 2015, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Smartwatches are a product looking for a market. There's no compelling reason to get one yet unless you want to feel like you are Dick Tracy or James Bond. $179 isn't too unreasonable for a smartwatch as going prices for other models from other companies can go a lot higher, but with Android smartwatches gaining functionality and becoming more aesthetically pleasing by leaps and bounds, Pebble is going to have to step up their game.

Apple will have their own competitor in the arena very soon so I might question if this the optimal time to choose a side. The wise play might be to hold back while levels of functionality increase and prices decrease.

Edvard:
http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2014/07/02/what-they-dont-tell-us-about-smartwatches/

nosh:
I'm sure there are others out there but this is the only smartwatch I've seen that I've found genuinely attractive.

Anyone getting a Pebble Time?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/olio-model-one-smartwatch-news/

I don't like the Pebbles and the Apple watch is one ugly, overpriced piece of crap. I hope it's a massive failure so Tim Cook can fall down to earth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version