ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kingston USB 3.0 for ISO usage

<< < (4/4)

Innuendo:
fodder: that's usually the first response, that it's a problem with controllers and firmware.  But I wish I could find it...this one guy tested this idea using different controllers, different computers, different firmware, and always had the same result.  it's a USB problem, and for some reason, it is not talked about. -superboyac (April 18, 2015, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do not doubt you read this & I don't doubt that this guy achieved the results he did. However, there needs to be more tests. There may have been a flaw in his testing methods of which he was not aware.

I have a Patriot Rage flash drive that just screams on reads and writes. I had an old Kensington USB 2.0 drive that was very fast for its time as well. The problem is that some manufacturers lie about their read/write times. Others just slap the words USB 3.0 on their packaging & while it's technically true it's a USB 3.0 drive, their product actually performs much worse than a lot of USB 2.0 drives.

Price isn't always an indicator, either. There are some truly crappy drives that are being sold at really high prices. The only thing we can do is research, research, research before we make our purchase.

f0dder:
check that...I'm rereading your response.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are talking about 2.5 disks, not thumbdrives right?  If you have a thumbdrive that is consistently getting over 50MB/s, i need the model!-superboyac (April 18, 2015, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
My first post has benchmarks of a SanDisk (50MB/s) and a Corsair (200MB/s) thumbdrive, my 2nd post is a 2.5" WD harddisk :)

superboyac:
check that...I'm rereading your response.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are talking about 2.5 disks, not thumbdrives right?  If you have a thumbdrive that is consistently getting over 50MB/s, i need the model!-superboyac (April 18, 2015, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
My first post has benchmarks of a SanDisk (50MB/s) and a Corsair (200MB/s) thumbdrive, my 2nd post is a 2.5" WD harddisk :)

-f0dder (April 19, 2015, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
What do you get for WRITE speed on your corsair?  btw, it is rated quite highly online.  Can you crack 100MBps?

f0dder:
What do you get for WRITE speed on your corsair?  btw, it is rated quite highly online.  Can you crack 100MBps?-superboyac (April 20, 2015, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did a Windows reinstall the other day (now running Win8.1, yay!) and used the Coprsair for the install files - got a steady 50MB/s for the ~27gig vmware image I was restoring, that's decent enough write speed for a thumbdrive.

superboyac:
What do you get for WRITE speed on your corsair?  btw, it is rated quite highly online.  Can you crack 100MBps?-superboyac (April 20, 2015, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did a Windows reinstall the other day (now running Win8.1, yay!) and used the Coprsair for the install files - got a steady 50MB/s for the ~27gig vmware image I was restoring, that's decent enough write speed for a thumbdrive.
-f0dder (April 28, 2015, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not bad!  That is blazing for a thumbdrive.  And it's not that expensive...i should get one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version