ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 10 will be free for "genuine and non-genuine" users

<< < (3/4) > >>

Innuendo:
I wasn't able to update my Win 10 preview using Windows update. It tried, but said there was an error and that my previous version had been restored.
-Deozaan (March 20, 2015, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is not unusual for beta/preview releases of Windows. Every once in a while your beta/preview Windows will get into a state where Windows Update won't be able to update it. Sometimes MS will update Windows Update's capabilities and you will be upgraded at a later date, but sometimes you'll be at a dead end & the only way forward is to do a complete install of a later build.

I've been tempted to try out Windows 10, but I've decided to hold off till May after graduation when I won't be dependent upon my PC for grades. :)

Arizona Hot:

Windows 10 upgrades from pirated predecessors won't be legit - CNET

TaoPhoenix:
(see attachment in previous post)
Windows 10 upgrades from pirated predecessors won't be legit - CNET
-Arizona Hot (March 21, 2015, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I saw this headline on slashdot.

It's one of those funny MS moves. "You can upgrade, because we want you to feel teh shinyness, but it won't be legit".

Innuendo:
It's one of those funny MS moves. "You can upgrade, because we want you to feel teh shinyness, but it won't be legit". -TaoPhoenix (March 21, 2015, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's 'funny' (and not as in funny ha-ha) is that Microsoft is refusing to comment on what the differences will be experienced by the user of a legitimate vs. non-legitimate license.

It's very weird all the way around. If you aren't legit, you can upgrade, but it won't be a real upgrade and we refuse to tell you why it won't be considered to be or what the ramifications of that will be.

TaoPhoenix:
It's one of those funny MS moves. "You can upgrade, because we want you to feel teh shinyness, but it won't be legit". -TaoPhoenix (March 21, 2015, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's 'funny' (and not as in funny ha-ha) is that Microsoft is refusing to comment on what the differences will be experienced by the user of a legitimate vs. non-legitimate license.

It's very weird all the way around. If you aren't legit, you can upgrade, but it won't be a real upgrade and we refuse to tell you why it won't be considered to be or what the ramifications of that will be.
-Innuendo (March 21, 2015, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

First of all yes, I didn't mean haha, I meant "playing a very complicated game".

If it's "proven" (and let's pass for a moment on false positives) as a non-legit copy, that gives them room to do all kinds of weird things to the very limits they think their $1000/hr legal team thinks they can get away with.

But what?

Is MS allowed by law to install their own custom spyware and snoop the address/other contact info of a "non-legit" user? Could they then wrap all of that into a package with a bowtie and feed it to a police force?

So then it gets all meta - why would a non-legit user WANT to upgrade? What do they get out of it? Wouldn't they sniff out that there's got to be a trap in there somewhere?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version