ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 10 will be free for "genuine and non-genuine" users

(1/4) > >>

w3bcrawler:
Microsoft's operating system chief Terry Myerson said, "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10." This means that everyone running Windows 7 or 8.1, irrespective of whether you pirated the operating system or not, will be allowed to upgrade to a legitimate version of Windows 10.
--- End quote ---

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

I think this is great! Not only will people be able to get their hands on legitimate copies, but I suspect there will be much less malware floating around (generally speaking) when people can update old / non-secure versions of Windows.

What do you think, DC?

TaoPhoenix:

Well, the malware floats around. It's just about how much of it latches on like a leech.

All the UI stuff aside, I'll be interested in the security reports of Win10.

rjbull:
The way I read it, from one of the UK magazines, was that the upgrade was automatic provided that you had automatic Windows updates turned on.  In other words, you wouldn't get a disk.  Given my very unhappy experience with the Vista Update from Hell detailed in Windows Update disaster - recovery help, please!, I would be very wary at allowing automatic Windows updates.  I know there are services like Winows Secrets that check their toxicity, but it's hard work going through all those numerically-named updates.  Oddly, when checking Windows Secrets' URL, I happened upon their 12th March 2015 post, which by amazing coincidence is New ways to get free Windows-installation media.

Innuendo:
The way I read it, from one of the UK magazines, was that the upgrade was automatic provided that you had automatic Windows updates turned on.  In other words, you wouldn't get a disk.-rjbull (March 18, 2015, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can see why Microsoft is doing it that way, but I really don't relish having to spend x amount of time installing Crusty-OS v1.0 in order to just sit and wait y amount of time while Teh-New-N-Shiny v2.0 downloads to install over the top leaving crusty, non-tasty bits all around your hard drive.

TaoPhoenix:
The way I read it, from one of the UK magazines, was that the upgrade was automatic provided that you had automatic Windows updates turned on.  In other words, you wouldn't get a disk.-rjbull (March 18, 2015, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can see why Microsoft is doing it that way, but I really don't relish having to spend x amount of time installing Crusty-OS v1.0 in order to just sit and wait y amount of time while Teh-New-N-Shiny v2.0 downloads to install over the top leaving crusty, non-tasty bits all around your hard drive.
-Innuendo (March 19, 2015, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no no!
The new OS is your nice salad and the other bits are croutons!
 :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version