ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SoftMaker (makers of SoftOffice) moving away from eM Client to Thunderbird

(1/2) > >>

mwb1100:
SoftMaker has been bundling the eM Client software with some versions of SoftOffice to provide e-mail functionality.  They have apparently decided to end that arrangement and will be bundling a customized version of Thunderbird in future versions of SoftOffice:

- http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofwtb_en.htm

As part of this they are also dedicating some development resources to Thunderbird and will be contributing fixes/enhancements to that project.

Seems like good news for Thunderbird. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had gotten used to the eM Client.

Curt:
Instinctively I welcome this.
And Yes, I use eM... because I have paid for it!

The license for eM Client that you received as part of SoftMaker Office Professional 2012 is perpetual; you will only stop receiving free updates for it at some point.
The manufacturer of eM Client will offer a discounted upgrade to its own version of eM Client to SoftMaker customers.-SoftMaker
--- End quote ---

Should the new 2016-version also have a new name?
SoftBird  or  ThunderMaker  or... ?  :tellme:

brahman:
I wonder if all their enhancements to Thunderbird will also be freely available (and where)?

4wd:
Should the new 2016-version also have a new name?
SoftBird  or  ThunderMaker  or... ?  :tellme:-Curt (March 16, 2015, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

My vote:

Spoiler
BirdMaker

;D :P

SoftMaker:
The enhancements we have developed so far are all in add-ons. This lets our users enable them selectively, and it ensures that updates for the unchanged Thunderbird still flow in from Mozilla.

If the Thunderbird developers want these enhancements, they can have them for their core code. They just need to ask.

The developer that we are funding will now work on Thunderbird proper, and these improvements are automatically in Thunderbird (if accepted by the maintainers).

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version