ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

128GB USB 3.0 Flash price/performance/durability recommendations?

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
I've had really good luck with the JDV10 style/series of Lexar drive for the past several years. Unfortunately they only seem to go up to 64GB that I know if (I carry a 32 now).
 (see attachment in previous post)
On the plus side, I can vouch for them handling getting wet (motorcycle...) and surviving quite well.
-Stoic Joker (March 13, 2015, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see Lexar has come out with P20 128GB claiming 400 MB/s read and 270 MB/s write.  They seem to sell at discount houses for around $120.  I'd like to test drive one of those.  :)

Vurbal:
You're not likely to do better for flash storage than Lexar. There's a reason most professional photographers swear by their SD cards.

MilesAhead:
You're not likely to do better for flash storage than Lexar. There's a reason most professional photographers swear by their SD cards.
-Vurbal (March 14, 2015, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I see one on super duper discount maybe I'll spring for it.  The Sata II spinner that's in my Laptop does Sequential Read at only 82 MB/s so that's all I'd be able to feed it unless/until I get an SSD.

Edit:  TigerDirect has them for $104.  Tempting but I'd probably only use 1/3 of the write speed.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9620384&SRCCODE=CHANNELINC&cisrccode=cii_7240425&cpncode=42-6746958

MilesAhead:
I got my Adata s102 128GB stick.  After formatting it to NTFS I did a single sequential read/write test using Crystal Diskmark.  This is freshly formatted no files on the stick.  I got 111 MBs read and 65 MBs write.  Not too bad.  I did a Macrium backup to the stick.  A 33 GB image file.  I copied that to another partition on the HD from the stick.  Transfer was 50 MBs according to the info shown by TeraCopy during the transfer.  So for the Laptop I have to figure if the stick proves as durable as the other s102s I purchased, that I got a pretty good balance for my circumstances.  At roughly $60 it is just over $.51 per gig.  After formatting the stick had 114 GB capacity.

A possible explanation for the slow transfer is that I sliced off about 130 GB at the end of the drive to park stuff like ISO downloads and a backup image.  Sata II that's probably not the fastest part of the platter(s).  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version