topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The clever software (Two disks in one and not die trying)  (Read 4682 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The clever software (Two disks in one and not die trying)
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:45 PM »
 ;D
I have a problem.
I have organized the letters of my hard drives for the rest of my life.
Y: is for data
O: is for multimedia,.....

A NAS (Network Attach Storage) is in offer now in my city. 2 drives x 3 TB

I would the NAS to be my data drive , that is Y:

But my Y: drive have allmost 4 TB occupied.

There is anyway to treat the two drives of 3 TB as one with the letter Y: ?

Best Regards

:-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The clever software (Two disks in one and not die trying)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Is possible to join two different physical volumes ?

ASSIGN, JOIN and SUBST in DOS and Windows

Drive letters are not the only way of accessing different volumes. DOS offers a JOIN command that allows access to an assigned volume through an arbitrary directory, similar to the Unix mount command. It also offers a SUBST command which allows the assignment of a drive letter to a directory. One or both of these commands were removed in later systems like OS/2 or Windows NT, but starting with Windows 2000, both are again supported: The SUBST command exists as before, while JOIN's functionality is subsumed in LINKD (part of the Windows Resource Kit). In Windows Vista, the new command MKLINK can be used for this purpose. Also, Windows 2000 and later support mount points, accessible from the Control Panel.

Many operating systems originating from Digital Research provide means to implicitly assign substitute drives, called floating drives in DRI terminology, by using the CD/CHDIR command in the following syntax:

CD N:=C:\SUBDIR

DOS Plus supports this for drive letters N:, O:, and P:. This feature is also present in Concurrent DOS, Multiuser DOS, System Manager 7, and REAL/32, however, these systems extend the concept to all unused drive letters from A: to Z:, except for the reserved drive letter L:.[7] DR DOS 3.31 - 6.0 (up to the 1992-11 updates with BDOS 6.7 only) also supports this including drive letter L:. This feature is not available under DR DOS 6.0 (1992 upgrade), PalmDOS 1, Novell DOS 7, OpenDOS 7.01, DR-DOS 7.02 and higher. Floating drives are implemented in the BDOS kernel, not in the command line shell, thus they can be used and assigned also from within applications when they use the "change directory" system call. However, most DOS applications are not aware of this extension and will consequently discard such directory paths as invalid. JP Software's command line interpreter 4DOS supports floating drives on operating systems also supporting it.

In a similar feature, Concurrent DOS, Multiuser DOS, System Manager and REAL/32 will dynamically assign a drive letter L: to the load path of a loaded application, thereby allowing applications to refer to files residing in their load directory under a standardized drive letter instead of under an absolute path.[7] This load drive feature makes it easier to move software installations on and across disks without having to adapt paths to overlays, configuration files or user data stored in the load directory or subsequent directories. (For similar reasons, the appendage to the environment block associated with loaded applications under DOS 3.0 (and higher) contains a reference to the load path of the executable as well, however, this consumes more resident memory, and to take advantage of it, support for it must be coded into the executable, whereas DRI's solution works with any kind of applications and is fully transparent for users as well.)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Short answer:
1) Enable JBODw in the NAS, (assuming it has it).
2) Map Y: to the NAS.

Data backups will be up to you as there is NO redundancy with JBOD.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:06 PM »
 ;D
You are right
I was this afternoon struggling with "disco duro distribuido" = spanned hard drives volumes
 :-*

Best Regards.
Now I come back to JSON

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:02 AM »
Now I come back to JSON
That should be JBODw as 4wd said, JSONw is totally unrelated to harddrive/NAS technology. (And mixing & mingling threads is a real no-no :()
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:13 AM by Ath »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15 AM »
When you set up your NAS, the setup wizard should offer to let you choose how you wish to access the data: as separate hard drives or as one big hard drive.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07 AM »
can't the library features of windows 7 do the thing where you make two separate folders into one library, and all the files appear in one place like it's one folder?